Let's talk about UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dayfu17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I liked the idea that someone had to just talk about USC, and I wanted to do the same for UCSF. I just got invited for an interview and to be honest I don't really know a whole lot about the school. So anybody that has interviewed or goes there, or has just done a lot of research on the school, I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

great school

unlike usc, which sucks

Members don't see this ad :)
I know UCSF is big in research, yet they granted me an interview and I have zero research experience. Does anyone know how important it is to be versed in this area to gain admittance? Is the research factor mostly for the residency programs? I'd certainly like to do some research there but I'm wondering if I'm going to get grilled on why I didn't do any as an undergrad.

from the people that I've heard that go there now, research isn't a requirement, nor is there a pressure for you to do it. I did some undergrad, but only for one quarter because I was invited to. I had fun with it, but only because of the research material. I don't plan to do any more in the future.

It's not neccessary to do research but it's a plus if you have. But then again, it would be a plus in any school you are interviewing at.

I haven't done anything closly resembling research and wasn't even asked about it at interview.

UCSF is a great school so far( i havn't made it to clinic yet, where a lot of schools turn south). It is a little unorganized but in general, I like it.

They are not as money hungry as other schools...they value their students and give the the best of the both worlds, research and clinical...They look at your application as a whole, they don't quantify their applicabt so it's a fair game for everyone...I wish they give me a chance...

I'm a 3rd year. This is our second quarter in clinic. From what I heard from upper classmen/women, this is way better than what I thought it would be. Some professors are young while others have been in the field longer than our ages. We have a nice mix of both worlds. Some profs want certain things done their ways which sometimes give us some hard time. But if you're open to learning, it's really open ended. The staffs are nice to work with too. This is a surprise to me. I had read some nasty negative feedback on anonymous board but I have not encountered yet. Nevertheless, I do hear complaints now and then. Some days we are short a few professors but it is not that bad. We have a few crazy people in our class as expected but as a class, class of 2009 is a great class for a school this competitive. For the first quarter in clinic, our class average production was ~$400 above the goal. I thought that was quite impressive.