Letter from the residency director during an elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Idon'tknow??

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
During an elective rotation, should I ask for a letter of recommendation from the residency director if I spent 2 days with her as my attending and things went very well? Or, is it better to have other attendings write letters and not make the director write a letter which I could also use at other programs?
 
This really isn't specific to Anesthesia, but I'd get any residency director to write me a letter for any specialty especially if I was going for that specialty. Residency directors are very well connected and, if you can get one to vouch for you, it looks really good in your application package. You spent two days with her; that's a lot more than many get the chance to do. Just ask her if she feels comfortable writing you a letter. If she says "sure", then you're in. If not, ask one of the attendings you spent the most time with. Either way, ask to see the letter before it goes to your dean's office (or however you school does it).

-Skip
 
Just be sure to ask if he/she feels comfortable after 2 days. Also be ready to hand your CV and Personal statement in at the time you ask. You'll look like you've thought things through and the PD will have more meat for your letter. You'll have to decide whether or not you will want to read this letter, or the writer may decide for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just my point of view here....I got a letter from a doc I spent 2 weeks with, one-on-one. When I didn't match for Ophthalmology, the feedback I got from one program is they thought it was a bogus letter because the author, thinking 2 weeks was more than enough contact, stated in the letter that he spent 2 weeks with me.

On a different note....I'm doing an anesthesia rotation as an intern in 1 month...what should I do to impress people and get some good LORs??

Geddy
 
Bottom line: Get a good LOR from your home school program director if he/she is willing to do that for you. One good LOR from an anesthesiologist is sufficient. I got every interview that I applied for.