Letter of Intent Question: Can I Put a Deadline on it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apism

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently got put on the waitlist for my top choice school and am thinking about sending a letter of intent.

I have read opinions from people saying that you should not send one unless you would be willing to accept an offer even at the last moment - e.g., if the offer is sent a week before the semester begins and you are about to matriculate at another school.

My question is this: is there an appropriate way to put a deadline on my letter of intent? For instance, can I say that if I am offered a place in the class before the end of May, I will take it?

I know a letter of intent is not legally binding, but it is ethically binding. My fear is that if I move across the country to begin at another school, pay a semester of tuition, sign a lease for an apartment, and then get an offer that I would be in a terrible position.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I recently got put on the waitlist for my top choice school and am thinking about sending a letter of intent.

I have read opinions from people saying that you should not send one unless you would be willing to accept an offer even at the last moment - e.g., if the offer is sent a week before the semester begins and you are about to matriculate at another school.

My question is this: is there an appropriate way to put a deadline on my letter of intent? For instance, can I say that if I am offered a place in the class before the end of May, I will take it?

I know a letter of intent is not legally binding, but it is ethically binding. My fear is that if I move across the country to begin at another school, pay a semester of tuition, sign a lease for an apartment, and then get an offer that I would be in a terrible position.

What do you all think?
In my own personal opinion I would not put a deadline. I feel like as an applicant that’s pushy, not in a good way.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would look bad. Why should they take you over another person if you already got an acceptance somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would look bad. Why should they take you over another person if you already got an acceptance somewhere else?
Is it not a good thing to indicate to the school that you have already been accepted elsewhere? If I don't have any other acceptances, then why do they care whether I have written a LoI? In that case, I am desperate for their acceptance and would take it no matter what.

If I have other options at competitive (or even more competitive) programs, than the LoI says "I have high quality choices to pick from, but I am prepared to commit to your school if given an offer". See link shared by Mr.Smile above.

Read
Would you suggest mentioning other acceptances I have received in the Letter of Intent? Or does that seem too showy?

Is it not a good thing to indicate to the school that you have already been accepted elsewhere? If I don't have any other acceptances, then why do they care whether I have written a LoI? In that case, I am desperate for their acceptance and would take it no matter what.

If I have other options at competitive (or even more competitive) programs, than the LoI says "I have high quality choices to pick from, but I am prepared to commit to your school if given an offer". See link shared by Mr.Smile above.

Would you suggest mentioning other acceptances I have received in the Letter of Intent? Or does that seem too showy?
Give me a reason to say...

Ariana Grande Finger Guns GIF

Don't give ultimatums, deadlines, or other expressions of desperation or frustration.

We will find out if you have been accepted elsewhere. If you accept an offer while holding another, in March, your name will be put on the multiple offers list until one of the schools takes you off.

SDN Trust the Process English.png