Medical Letter of Intent to Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I really appreciate this forum. I am in a little bind. Mayo states on interview day that they really care about letters of intent, and since they are my top choice school, I do want to send one. However, if I was accepted elsewhere with a better financial aid package I might consider that, as I am already in a lot of debt from undergraduate. So, should I send an LOI to my top-choice school? I know the consensus is usually that you shouldn't send them and schools do not take them seriously, but Mayo seems to be an exception. Every current student I talked to sent a letter of intent.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I really appreciate this forum. I am in a little bind. Mayo states on interview day that they really care about letters of intent, and since they are my top choice school, I do want to send one. However, if I was accepted elsewhere with a better financial aid package I might consider that, as I am already in a lot of debt from undergraduate. So, should I send an LOI to my top-choice school? I know the consensus is usually that you shouldn't send them and schools do not take them seriously, but Mayo seems to be an exception. Every current student I talked to sent a letter of intent.

— Experts please respond to this post —

You have 4 choices: 1) send an LOI and consider it binding regardless of other aid packages; 2) send an LOI but personally potentially back out if you have a good reason; 3) send a modified LOI that recognizes the financial implications as an “out”; 4) don’t send an LOI.

This is entirely a personal decision. None of these choices are right or wrong. I would likely pick 2, as I think any school should respect that things change. But it’s up to you.

Your have 4 choices: 1) send an LOI and consider it binding regardless of other aid packages; 2) send an LOI but personally potentially back out if you have a good reason; 3) send a modified LOI that recognizes the financial implications as an “out”; 4) don’t send an LOI.

This is entirely a personal decision. None of these choices are right or wrong. I would likely pick 2, as I think any school should respect that things change. But it’s up to you.
agreed, I'd probably lean towards #2

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.