Letter of Rec Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As it stands, my applications (including secondaries) to the different med schools I applied to are nearly complete. The only thing that is missing or hasn't been sent out is a single letter of recommendation from a physician. I have someone who graciously agreed to write me the letter, it just hasn't been submitted yet. I've already submitted letters from two science related professors and one non-science related professor (I'm nontraditional), but I'm concerned that med school programs won't pull my application until everything (including the missing letter) has been submitted. Is this the case, or would they still pull the application so long as the physician letter isn't a requirement?

Thank you for any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose it might depend on the school but if you have listed it on your app, they will probably wait until your file is complete. You don’t need a physician letter(except at a few school-DO and MD).

Reactions: 1 users
You can mark the later no longing being sent. This will allow your application to be marked complete and moved forward. If letter is eventually sent, it will be added to your file

Thank you! So if I mark the letter as no longer being sent, then the writer will still be able to submit the letter, and I would be able to then make the change to send out the letter to schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You wont have to do anything. If a letter is marked no longer being sent by you, the schools will be notified. If the letter is then sent, it will automatically be sent to the schools. Once a letter is assigned you cant stop it

Okay, perfect! So just to clarify, even if the letter is marked as no longer being sent, then the letter will still be sent to the selected schools once it's submitted? I apologize if I'm misunderstanding.

Okay, perfect! So just to clarify, even if the letter is marked as no longer being sent, then the letter will still be sent to the selected schools once it's submitted? I apologize if I'm misunderstanding.
Yes -- marking it no longer being sent tells the school not to hold its breath waiting, but, if it happens to come in, AMCAS will send it because it has been assigned, and you cannot unassign it.

Yes -- marking it no longer being sent tells the school not to hold its breath waiting, but, if it happens to come in, AMCAS will send it because it has been assigned, and you cannot unassign it.

Thank you for the information! If the letter does wind up being submitted, would I still receive a notification from AMCAS that the letter was submitted? Or will not hear from AMCAS since the letter was considered "no longer being sent"?

Thank you for the information! If the letter does wind up being submitted, would I still receive a notification from AMCAS that the letter was submitted? Or will not hear from AMCAS since the letter was considered "no longer being sent"?
Nothing would change with respect to notifications. "No longer being sent" is to tell the schools not to wait for it; it doesn't change anything from AMCAS's perspective. It clearly is still being sent if it exists, and you will be notified exactly the same as if you didn't mark it not being sent.