letter of rec help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomlogik

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wanting to get everyone's opinion on this. At the beginning of the summer I had 4 letters of rec submitted to my premedical committee, and I believe that they have already finished writing the composite letter. During the summer, I was in a research program at Hopkins. I would like to have my mentor write me a letter, because I feel that it would be somewhat stronger than some of the others that I have gotten. How should I go about using it? Should I submit it as a suppliment to my application or what? Should I just not worry about it considering I already have plenty of recs?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is a good letter, I would def send it in....Sounds like a good perk on your application.

but at what point would be best to send it? after my premed committee has already sent in the composite letter? or just have it sent whenever? ya know...perhaps i should ask my mentor if he would even want to write a letter. i am only assuming he wouldnt mind.. ehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not think he would mind. I had no problems getting letters. Everyone was so happy to be included in the application process, but I guess it was the way I went about it....

I think I would send it after the composite letter...maybe two weeks after, which would make then open up the file again and take a second view. Everytime you send something, they have to go look at your file.

Good luck

just send it as a supplement, not part of the packet.

Make sure if you get it it's good.
My friend asked her chem teacher to write one, and even though she got a B in the course, he seemed enthusiastic to write it. WEll, now she went to check the letter at our rec service, and the secretary can tell her if the teacher filled in "very highly recommended, highjly recommended, or recommended." The letter was written great, yet he only put recommended. Effectively KO'ing that letter. So just be positive it will be good.