Letter of Rec, not applying until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarvM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I asked one of my professors for a letter of rec and he said he'd be happy to write one for me. I don't plan on applying until next year, but I wanted to ask for the letter now while I'm still fresh in his memory.

My question is: He asked me for my resume, personal statement, and instructions on submitting the letter. I have the former two, but now I'm a bit confused on how to tell him to submit the letter. Can I use the AMCA's letter system or would Interfolio be better since I'm not applying until next year?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Use Interfolio. Then you can have the letter sent anywhere, such as AACOMAS, without bothering him again.

Reactions: 1 user
Why don't you ask him to write it now, and notice him next year to send it. You can email him with update and go to his office once in a while, so the time frame can be longer and he has more things to say about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I asked one of my professors for a letter of rec and he said he'd be happy to write one for me. I don't plan on applying until next year, but I wanted to ask for the letter now while I'm still fresh in his memory.

My question is: He asked me for my resume, personal statement, and instructions on submitting the letter. I have the former two, but now I'm a bit confused on how to tell him to submit the letter. Can I use the AMCA's letter system or would Interfolio be better since I'm not applying until next year?

Thanks for any help!

You can use Interfolio like jonnythan said and have him submit his letter there. Then, as truongta1990 suggested, re-send the letter to the professor so he can make appropriate adjustments that account for the time lapse.

I was out of school for 4 years before applying and that is what I did. It worked out very smoothly. :)

Good luck!

Why don't you ask him to write it now, and notice him next year to send it. You can email him with update and go to his office once in a while, so the time frame can be longer and he has more things to say about you.

It's better to send it to interfolio now, and then ask for an update when you are preparing you apply, if you believe something has dramatically changed during that time. Sometimes, professors fall off the grid, and it's much better to have a letter that's a year (or two) old than to not have enough letters to apply.

Speaking from personal experience. I had three professors write me a letter for my first cycle, didn't get in, and kept my interfolio account active. When I reapplied, I had one professor update his letter (since I had worked with him more since he initially wrote it), swapped one letter for one from a professor I had a closer relationship with, and couldn't get in contact with my non-science letter writer for an update, so I reused the same letter.

Thank you so much for the feedback guys, I appreciate it!

I would get interfolio. I wish I did like two years ago so I could have letters from people back then....