Letter of Rec Question :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be applying maybe in 1-2 yrs and my optometrist will be writing me a letter of rec. Should I have it sent to the career center of the university or can I send it in myself? I may be graduating soon so it might be a hassle to go back and use the career center. Any advice welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

I had the docs I worked with send it directly to the schools. I'd been out of college three years when I applied, so that whole career center thingy wasn't going to work for me :)

Good luck !

Two of the doctors that I worked under wrote my letters of rec. They both sent it directly to the schools...I think it's fine. Some schools will ask for them to send it via your university.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think most schools prefer that you NOT have access to the letter and want you to waive your right to access the letter. i definitely think you should have the doctor send it in for that reason.

hoosier1 said:
Should I have it sent to the career center of the university or can I send it in myself? I may be graduating soon so it might be a hassle to go back and use the career center. Any advice welcome!!
Like the others said, you would be safest having the optometrist send the letter directly (many schools specifically ask for this). You shouldn't have to go back to your career center at all once you graduate, unless that's how your institution does transcripts or sends out faculty recommendations. Even then, a call, fax, or email would probably be all you would need.