Letter Of Rec. Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have taken very few non-science classes, and I think my english instructor could write me a pretty good letter. However, this person is a graduate student. But, they were the only instructor for the class. My other non-science class professors do not know me at all because I go to a very large university. When a medical school asks for a letter from a non science professor, can a graduate student write you this letter?

If this person was listed as the instructor for the course, then it should be fine. Medical schools understand that you cannot control who your school chooses to teach a course. If this is the best non-science letter you can obtain, then go for it.

Best,
-z

It should be ok. Prof>>>GSI, but sometimes you can't do anything about it. My non-science letter was like that, and I got into one school that outright insisted on "senior professors" as letter writers. So I think there's wiggle room there. But bear in mind that if a school does want only senior professors you could run into some walls (its rare though).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I have taken very few non-science classes, and I think my english instructor could write me a pretty good letter. However, this person is a graduate student. But, they were the only instructor for the class. My other non-science class professors do not know me at all because I go to a very large university. When a medical school asks for a letter from a non science professor, can a graduate student write you this letter?

i'm pretty sure you can. my good friend got into a handful of top 10 schools with 1 or 2 letters from TAs. he felt strong letters from grad students would be better than weak letters from professors.

I was told by my friends who just applied this last cycle that a "med studies committee" letter will count for the non-science/ humanities LOR.

None of them (3 people) got letters from a humanities professor and they were all accepted to top tier schools (if only I could be so lucky!)

My other non-science class professors do not know me at all because I go to a very large university.

For your sake, don't mention this same line, for any reason, in your AMCAS, secondaries, or interviews. Attending a large university isn't, realistically, an excuse for professors "not to know" you or for you not to know them.

Schools receive hundreds of applications from students at large universities who have managed to obtain letters from acclaimed faculty. The other students aren't any more accomplished, and usually they haven't had any extraordinary opportunity, they just took the time to meet with their professors in office hours, before tests, and for the brief few minutes before class.

If you tell schools you don't have letters from professors because you go to a large university, they are going to assume you never took the initiative.

Letters from TAs are fine. Good luck!