Letter of Rec. Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyhands

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a search but couldnt find what I was looking for.

When you ask for a letter for recommendation, what should you give them? I am thinking of giving them my PS, transcripts, list of ECs on my AMCAS, and a paper I wrote in one of my honors classes.

What do you think? Is this too much, too little? Anything else I could include?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on how well the professor knows you. If they know you well, you could probably get by with just a CV. If you've only had them for one class, never went to office hours and were in a class of 200+, then more is better.

In my opinion, everything you're thinking of giving them seems a bit overkill. If it were me I'd just hand them my CV (which would include relevant activities) and your PS (or just a bit about your motivations). Just don't overwhelm them.

a one page resume and your PS should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you should include the paper you wrote for a class. Chances are they won't have time to read it.

I gave them my personal statement and a resume, as all of my professors could already access a transcript if they wanted. Also said that if they wanted anything else, they only had to ask, but no one took me up on it.

P.S. Ask for the letters early, like 2-3 months before you need them early. Then feel free to bother the professors about them every couple weeks (be sort of subtle... like come by just to say hello and mention the letter before you leave. Or, what I did, come by with a newer draft of the personal statement to replace the old one.)

a one page resume and your PS should be fine.
Agreed. Leave out the transcript too. I gave it to people, but in retrospect, writers really don't need to see every grade I've earned (and it was probably better if they didn't).

If you don't intend to see your writer for a while, I'd also suggest giving them a self-addressed stamped postcard in their packet. Tell them to drop it in the mail along with your LOR so you'll know when they're done.

Agreed. Leave out the transcript too. I gave it to people, but in retrospect, writers really don't need to see every grade I've earned (and it was probably better if they didn't).
haha yeah. i guess it depends on your grades. good grades= give them a transcript.

I just gave mine the info for interfolio and my resume (which has my significant EC's on it) I assumed they were familiar with my academic work so I didn't give samples- my physician didnt teach me but knows me as a student in some sense... also I didn't have a final PS when I asked so I didn't give that either- my GPA was on resume and all my teachers can access my file on the school pc so I didn't give transcript

these are the items i was asked for the most often from my letter writers:

1) personal statement
2) resume
3) transcript/or the grades I received in their respective classes

4) a good thing would be giving them an envelope with a stamp in about a month so they remember about your letter. this way you're reminding them without being overly obnoxious.
5) if they still don't have your LOR done after another month, then go ahead and send them a thank you note for taking the time to agree to write you a letter and how much it means to you blah blah blah. after three months, write the letter yourself and forge their signature.

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a search but couldnt find what I was looking for.

When you ask for a letter for recommendation, what should you give them? I am thinking of giving them my PS, transcripts, list of ECs on my AMCAS, and a paper I wrote in one of my honors classes.

What do you think? Is this too much, too little? Anything else I could include?

Thanks

Differs on professor/person. Some people don't need anything, as their letters are more about your work ethic, personality, dedication to medicine, etc. But a simple PS and resume is usually enough for most professors who already have your grade in their class and (hopefully) some first-hand experience with you as a student.