Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so when is it appropriate to ask a professor for a letter of rec? Did you know your professor personally when you asked? I asked a professor I had last semester, I got an A in his class and was one of the only people who participated in class, but he never got back to me. I don't know what to do! I transferred schools and haven't been able to make great connections with professors here. I have a professor this semester that knows be my name, and I did well in another class I had with her too. Should I ask her? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the question you need to ask is how good will my LOR be if I've only known the professor for a semester. When I applied to grad school the first time, I had been in 3 classes with a professor, and he still asked for a list of my accomplishments and extracurriculars because his recommendation would sound terrible not knowing anything about me other than that I did well in his class. It's very important to do well in a class, but the recommendation really should fill out who you are as a person, especially in applying to a professional degree like OT. I would visit with her in office hours as much as possible while you can.

As to the actual asking...I told a professor that I felt terrible befriending him just to get a LOR, and that I really respected him and wanted to get to know him regardless. He told me that it's part of the job, and that all good professors expect to do it. If it's a big name professor, then you might have some trouble (if it's worth the trouble, then it will be tough to get), but in general, if they don't want to do a LOR when you're a good student, that means they're a jerk and shouldn't be teaching. LOR's are part of the job, and most good teachers want to help you out.

Did you make good connections with professors at your previous school? One of my professors transferred to a different school during my Junior year. I called her up and asked her for an LOR, and she wrote one.

Typically, you want close relations with the professor. One or two classes may not be ideal for an LOR. Maybe 4-5, or close supervision during research. Also, stop by their offices just to chat when they are not busy. They tend to like it when you talk about their research interests. I've had many fun/interesting conversations with professors. I even pulled a small prank on the department head, who later wrote me an LOR. Luckily, he was amused by it.

Last edited: