Letter of Rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been asked a couple of times about what should be stressed since it is for medical school. Any ideas?

Also does anyone know where I can get some ideas on how to write one (i.e. a web page)? My boss doesn't feel like it and told me to do it

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the schools have guidelines for writing a letter of recommendation on their on-line sites or included with their secondaries. Check out your schools' websites and the secondary packets you've received.

Applicant's relationship to author:
- author's identification (position, title, etc.)
- author's relationship to the applicant (employer, professor, etc.)
- length of time author has known the applicant
- frequency of interaction

intellectual capacity of the applicant:
- attitude toward coursework
- curiosity
- learned skills with respect to course
- performance consistency
- contribution to class/work/position/etc.
- analytical skill

Personal characters:
- interpersonal skills
- organization
- emotional stability
- fill in the rest on your own accord here

Also, ask the person who is writing if he/she belives that he/she could write a strong LOR for you. Be honest and sincere and let them know that this is very important to you. It's your future!

If you have four letters, each letter should address separate aspects of you as a person and/or your application to medical school. The goal is to convey to medical school, through all four letters, the whole image of you as an individual, the one that they want to be in their classes!

Hope this little guide helps! Good luck!