Letter of Rec

Started by buddy1
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

buddy1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I'm starting the application process right now. I took the OATs a few weeks ago...got a 360 TS/AA. My gpa is 3.43

A professor who i was working for offered me a letter of rec and currently, I'm interning with these two optometrists who co-own a private business. They work on separate days...i've interned with each separately. One of the optometrists offered me a letter while the other one hasn't mentioned anything yet. I've been interning there for about 2 months, at least 12 hours a week.

My question is: since i need 3 letters of recs, would it be ok for me to ask the other optometrist to write me a letter also? or do school prefer that i find letters from a different source (different office)? i currently have no one else in mind to ask. also, what kind of information should i provide (resume?) to help them write the letter? and in what format? 😕 help plzz! 🙂
 
Hi buddy1! your stats look really good - congrats on your score! 😉 And I think that your professor and optometrist offering you a recommendation letter is awesome - it sounds like they know you pretty well.

I think you should check with the schools that you're considering applying to and see what kinds of recommendation letters they require. The schools I have been looking at sometimes require 2 from professors/faculty and so you might need another academic one rather than one from an optometrist. I'm not discouraging you from asking the other optometrist, by all means I think it'd be good to get another one just in case you might need it for other schools. But it's just that I struggled with finding academic ones because I didn't realize that some schools had that requirement (PCO actually requires 3 academic letters of recommendation - eeps!)

Also, I have been providing my letter writers with my resume and a CV (although some of the information is very similar on both) just so they can see what other things I'm doing at school. good luck! 😀

buddy1 said:
Hi everyone!

I'm starting the application process right now. I took the OATs a few weeks ago...got a 360 TS/AA. My gpa is 3.43

A professor who i was working for offered me a letter of rec and currently, I'm interning with these two optometrists who co-own a private business. They work on separate days...i've interned with each separately. One of the optometrists offered me a letter while the other one hasn't mentioned anything yet. I've been interning there for about 2 months, at least 12 hours a week.

My question is: since i need 3 letters of recs, would it be ok for me to ask the other optometrist to write me a letter also? or do school prefer that i find letters from a different source (different office)? i currently have no one else in mind to ask. also, what kind of information should i provide (resume?) to help them write the letter? and in what format? 😕 help plzz! 🙂
 
kiseki said:
Hi buddy1! your stats look really good - congrats on your score! 😉 And I think that your professor and optometrist offering you a recommendation letter is awesome - it sounds like they know you pretty well.

I think you should check with the schools that you're considering applying to and see what kinds of recommendation letters they require. The schools I have been looking at sometimes require 2 from professors/faculty and so you might need another academic one rather than one from an optometrist. I'm not discouraging you from asking the other optometrist, by all means I think it'd be good to get another one just in case you might need it for other schools. But it's just that I struggled with finding academic ones because I didn't realize that some schools had that requirement (PCO actually requires 3 academic letters of recommendation - eeps!)

Also, I have been providing my letter writers with my resume and a CV (although some of the information is very similar on both) just so they can see what other things I'm doing at school. good luck! 😀


whats a CV?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
buddy1 said:
Hi everyone!

I'm starting the application process right now. I took the OATs a few weeks ago...got a 360 TS/AA. My gpa is 3.43

A professor who i was working for offered me a letter of rec and currently, I'm interning with these two optometrists who co-own a private business. They work on separate days...i've interned with each separately. One of the optometrists offered me a letter while the other one hasn't mentioned anything yet. I've been interning there for about 2 months, at least 12 hours a week.

My question is: since i need 3 letters of recs, would it be ok for me to ask the other optometrist to write me a letter also? or do school prefer that i find letters from a different source (different office)? i currently have no one else in mind to ask. also, what kind of information should i provide (resume?) to help them write the letter? and in what format? 😕 help plzz! 🙂

Ask your favorite bartender to write a letter of recommendation for you. That will really impress the schools.