Letter of Recom. for Re-application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunypot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since many of us did not get in this year, we will be trying again next year. What is the protocol for re-using LOR? Can you use previous ones? Do you need all new ones? Would it hurt your app to have some of the same ones as before?

Also, how do you break the news that you didn't get in to people that recommended you, while asking if they'll recommend you again next year? Sort of an embarrasing situation! I'm not sure of the etiquette in this situation. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Since many of us did not get in this year, we will be trying again next year. What is the protocol for re-using LOR? Can you use previous ones? Do you need all new ones? Would it hurt your app to have some of the same ones as before?

Also, how do you break the news that you didn't get in to people that recommended you, while asking if they'll recommend you again next year? Sort of an embarrasing situation! I'm not sure of the etiquette in this situation. :oops:

Well, I think it would hurt your app if you had all the same exact recommendations as last year. I would try to get at least one new LOR. Before asking for a recommendation from someone who recommended you last year, give them a new resume and update them on what you've been doing since applying and where you're going so they can include that in their new recommendations.

I know that some schools say they will have your recommendations on file from previous application cycles. Therefore, if you continue to work with a vet maybe they can send an updated recommendation saying what you've been working on since, hopefully emphasizing your continued drive since the rejection. Also, during your consultation with the school they recommend areas they want to see you improve, so when you work on whatever area they wanted to see improvement I would include a recommendation from someone in that field, whether it be large animal, a science professor etc to show that you really did take their advice. I know that some schools really look to see if you followed through with their advice.

first, make sure that your evaluators save a copy of the letter they wrote you this year, because LOR are not carried over- they need to be re-inputed. is that a word?
second, a vet school that keeps letters on file says that yes, getting new letters from people who know your work better, or now know you better as a person are definitely a good idea. a lot can happen between appl. cycles, esp. if they're 4 years apart!
third, if you don't have access to your letters and don't know their content, use your judgement about selecting who to get future letters from. sometimes, a new experience will give you a better recc. than the old vet you worked for who'd really nice but is almost senile, etc.
fourth, always be sure to update the letters, even if they are from the same evaluator. if you've worked longer, acquired more experience or duties, got promoted, etc, since the last letter, it's important!

hope this helps!