Letter of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetlover1234

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had advice for me about choosing my letter of recommendation. I have one letter from a vet and another from the person in charge of my lab. The third letter of recommendation I want to be from a professor and I have two professors in mind. One professor did not teach a science course but I think she would write me a thoughtful letter. I can ask another professor from a science course but I don't think she would do as good of a job. Does the professor have to be a science teacher? I noticed on the Penn Vet website it said science professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools dictate who they want letters from and others don’t. You’ll need to do the legwork to make sure you’re meeting the requirements of each school appropriately. In general I would say that a great letter from a non science professor would be more favorable than a lukewarm letter from a science professor. (Or to put it the opposite way, I think a poor reference will hurt your application more than a good reference by someone not in a science field) But if a place you’re planning to apply says they require a science professor you’ve got to go with that or choose not to apply there.

Reactions: 2 users