letter of reference question

Started by arkgal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arkgal

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've decided to go ahead and apply to my state school for 2009. I will need three letters of reference, two of which must be from a college professor. I know two professors well that I have taken several classes with, both a biology and a literature professor. Now to the third letter. I haven't had more than one course with any other science professor and I don't feel they know me well enough. I can think of two other people...a pharmacist who has been a close family friend and neighbor for 20 years, knows me very well, but whom I have never worked with. The other person would be my supervisor at the warehouse where I work. I have continually been told I'm the best night guy they've ever had, I'm the 2nd fastest picker in my state for Pepsi, etc etc, so I know he could write well on my work ethic. Which one of these do you think would be the better choice for the adcoms? The pharmacist who is a manager at a walmart pharmacy or my supervisor? Any thoughts are welcome.
 
Defintely the pharmacist for the last letter. See if there's anyway possible you can at least shadow him/her a couple times or something, so it's not just a "friend" relationship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I shadowed with a "friend" pharmacist for a day at Wal-Mart and got a recc. from her three years ago, not sure why it would have changed, she wasn't a manager though.