Letter of reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I recently finished my Master of Science degree (MSc) and I was wondering is it a good idea to ask one of my MSc examiners to write me a recommendation letter for my med school application?

Members don't see this ad.

Examiner? You mean professor?

You should get LOR's from:
-Professors, definitely. The better you know them (and the better you did in their class), the better. Schools often require 2-3 of these.
-PI's or preceptors or postdocs supervising your research. Research is a big thing for medical schools.
-Supervisors if you worked in a clinical/research job. Clinical experience is also a big thing.
-Program directors of a big project you worked on. Volunteer/social/leadership experiences are good to have.

The more enthusiastic and personal a LOR can be, the better. Of course, make sure they are all positive.

Examiner? You mean professor?

You should get LOR's from:
-Professors, definitely. The better you know them (and the better you did in their class), the better. Schools often require 2-3 of these.
-PI's or preceptors or postdocs supervising your research. Research is a big thing for medical schools.
-Supervisors if you worked in a clinical/research job. Clinical experience is also a big thing.
-Program directors of a big project you worked on. Volunteer/social/leadership experiences are good to have.

The more enthusiastic and personal a LOR can be, the better. Of course, make sure they are all positive.

Yes, they are professors (examiners of my thesis). Since they read and examined my research based thesis would it make sense to ask them to write me a LOR? The feedback I received from my thesis defense was that I did excellent and I was required to do minor revisions.