Letterhead stationary v. eLOR

Started by LilBowWow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LilBowWow

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone.

So here's a question that I don't think I've seen on the board yet, at least not targeting this particular issue.

I know that electronic letters of recommendation are much easier for almost everyone involved (save the poor adcom asst. who has to print out a few thousand of them!): no paper, no stamps, no getting lost in the mail, being able to track submission status online. And perhaps there is also a subtle equalizing effect in that the letters from the Stanford professor and the junior college instructor both appear on the same plain white paper -- no sexy prestigous college seal at the top.

But it's precisely that -- lack of letterhead -- that I'm asking about now. I know that adcoms would swear up and down that it doesn't make a difference, but come on. Wouldn't you do a double take if you saw a prestigous college or veterinary hospital seal on someone's recommendation letter? Sure, as a good adcom member, you would thoroughly read all the letters. But still... I can't help but wonder if there is a subtle advantage to having a paper letter (with the letterhead) submitted.

Anyway, I will probably stick with the eLORs, since they're more convenient for my recommenders (and for me, so I can track online and not have to bug them perpetually). But if I thought it might help to do paper recs, I may reconsider.

Thanks!
 
I think eLOR's ask what institution the evaluator is writing from and for the school he/she got their degree at. (Please correct me if I am wrong since I didn't double check this). I would think that the institution would not matter *that* much (compared to the content of the letter, how well they know you, etc.) but if it would, the information would still be available on eLOR. Plus, school names are more recognizable than seals, right? 😉

Lisa
 
Hi everyone.

So here's a question that I don't think I've seen on the board yet, at least not targeting this particular issue.

I know that electronic letters of recommendation are much easier for almost everyone involved (save the poor adcom asst. who has to print out a few thousand of them!): no paper, no stamps, no getting lost in the mail, being able to track submission status online. And perhaps there is also a subtle equalizing effect in that the letters from the Stanford professor and the junior college instructor both appear on the same plain white paper -- no sexy prestigous college seal at the top.

But it's precisely that -- lack of letterhead -- that I'm asking about now. I know that adcoms would swear up and down that it doesn't make a difference, but come on. Wouldn't you do a double take if you saw a prestigous college or veterinary hospital seal on someone's recommendation letter? Sure, as a good adcom member, you would thoroughly read all the letters. But still... I can't help but wonder if there is a subtle advantage to having a paper letter (with the letterhead) submitted.

Anyway, I will probably stick with the eLORs, since they're more convenient for my recommenders (and for me, so I can track online and not have to bug them perpetually). But if I thought it might help to do paper recs, I may reconsider.

Thanks!

Aren't your evaluators supposed to send their paper letters to VMCAS rather than directly to the school. Ithink VMCAS kinda equalizes all letters.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I said "seal" I guess I was using it as a proxy for the general letterhead of the school, which often includes the seal.

Anyway, I know VMCAS is in charge of copying and distributing paper LORs, but unless they white-out the letterhead on paper letters, I would imagine these would be visible on the photocopied versions that individual adcoms receive.

P.S. My roommate, a psychologist, is the one who got me thinking about this in the first place, so I hope that makes my over-analysis of this issue somewhat excuseable?! 😉
 
I don't know how common this is, but I know that at least one of the schools that I applied to required all the LOR's to be electronic. I don't know what their reasoning was behind this, but it kinda makes you think...