Letters of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toods

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've noticed a lot of posts distributed throughout the threads about letters of interest. I wanted to open up a thread regarding timing, content, and whatever else on this topic.

I'll go first:
1) I figure it's never too early to send a LOI. This way, it's sure to get there before the program's ROL meeting. Right?

2) I'm planning on just addressing it to the PD i.e. "Dear Dr. X" not something along the lines of "Dear committee" but I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?

3) As for applying as part of a couple (in the same specialty, mind you) should we write separate letters to our top programs? Or do you think it is advantageous/disadvantageous for us to write a common letter signed by both of us?

Thanks for any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Screw intent... that's a law term :laugh:.

If you are writing a letter... make it a fixed declaration that the program is # 1. Once you are very sure about your #1 choice, then send the e-mail/letter (e-mail is probably preferred especially since you can get a response).

You can address it to the PD. If you're referring to MGH, I would address it to Bazari rather than the committee/team.

The common vs. individual letter is an interesting question. I think either would work. If you did write individual letters, you should probably make a passing reference such that both my husband/wife and I liked the program, we are couples matching. Talk to your SO, use common sense, and make a decision on it.

The other thing is post-interview correspondence is not guaranteed to have any effect. I have talked to people at top programs that said they believed in the match (no letter sent declaring #1), and heck, they ended up at this wonderful program as many programs do have faith in the match as well.
Best wishes :luck:

Curious what kind of subject line people use for these "you're my #1" e-mails...

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious what kind of subject line people use for these "you're my #1" e-mails...

It can be something simple like: School X IM Residency Program or whatever else title you want to use.

Don't be like Publishers Clearing House and title it... "you could be a winner" or anything crazy like that.

It can be something simple like: School X IM Residency Program or whatever else title you want to use.

Don't be like Publishers Clearing House and title it... "you could be a winner" or anything crazy like that.

"Will you go with me?"
"Check YES or NO"
"Enl@rge your peni$"