Letters of Rec Deadline

Started by deleted1057782
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1057782

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on submitting TMDSAS on May 1st, the first day it opens. What deadline should I give my letter writers to ensure that I am able to send the letters by the time I submit my secondaries?
 
I told my letter writers a deadline 2 weeks ahead of first day for AMCAS submission and collected letters on Interfolio. One letter writer ended up needing additional time and thus pushed into the 2 week buffer, but in the end I had all my letters by the first day submission opened.
 
i'm not doing TMDSAS, but i asked all my LORs to have it by mid-late April to be safe. i'm sure there will be one or two that i'll need to harass in early May, but thats better than harassing in august
 
1) AMCAS letters are processed fully independently from Primary Application
2) Letter are not, repeat. not required for application verification or transmission
3) Letters are transmitted separately from primary application and are done so a day after they are assigned
4) You should not, repeat, not assign letters to any school until the letter is in AMCAS
5) Letters are not evaluated until your application is complete (Primary, secondary, MCAT, and LOR; this year was atypical with MCAT due to COVID)
Just to bridge off this, what this means is you should ask your LOR writers to submit their letters no later than roughly 2 weeks before you plan to submit your secondary. In a typical cycle, that means early to mid August.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors