Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiflutept

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to PT programs in the fall so I'm starting to figure out who I should ask to write letters of rec for me. I'm definitely going to get one from a PT and if her letter is anything like the one she wrote for me for college, it will be great. I'm going to ask my academic advisor for one (most likely), and I'm going to ask a professor for one, I'm just not sure who to ask. Im torn between my A&P II professor, my physics professor (will have spent 2 semesters in his class), or my exercise phys professor (shes my lab instructor too and is a PT as well). I know my physics professor has good things to say about me, but he's a little scatterbrained so that worries me. Im taking exercise phys right now and I love the class, but I get mixed signals from my professor about whether she likes me or not (sometimes when I ask her questions the look on her face seems to me like I'm bothering her). My anatomy professor really liked me and he told me that I'm one of the hardest-working students he's ever had, but I only got a B in his class (he would test us on rediculous minor details). He's the head of the bio department at my school too. I remember when I was looking at colleges, during an admissions presentation, the rep said that it still looks good to get a letter from a teacher who's class you didnt do great in, but still worked really hard and had a good relationship with. Does this hold true for PT school admissions too? If this was your situation, which professor would you ask?

Members don't see this ad.

If it helps at all, I asked my physics professor. He knew that I had previously gotten a C- in the same class taught by a different professor, but I showed interest in the extra credit project and showed up to lecture, etc. He knows I tried my hardest, and even though I got a B+, I think he still wrote a great letter. Pick the person who knows you well and will say great things about you, rather than the person who doesn't know you well other than the fact that you got a good grade in their class.

Also, double check school requirements on whether they accept academic advisors. I noticed that quite a few won't accept letters from them.

I would ask the anatomy professor, and ask him to include the fact that you're one of the hardest working students he's had. That will sound golden. He doesn't have to mention the grade you got in the class. The letters of rec are more about describing your qualities and what kind of person you are. They'll see your grades on your transcript no matter who you ask to write the letter. Also, definitely don't ask the teacher that you're getting mixed signals from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the letters of recommendation from teachers submitted online? Or how does that work

Are the letters of recommendation from teachers submitted online? Or how does that work

Through PTCAS. You'll figure it out once you actually read the instructions and start doing it. It's not just a free-form letter, it's a template they fill out.

Its an online survey for them to fill out. There then is a space for them to submit a letter.