Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

superoxide

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just about to start the process for ERAS applications for the 2009 match. I'm going for Peds. Just have a question re: LORs. I finished my core peds rotation more that 6 months ago. I did really well. I made it clear to the attending that I was going into peds and so I did "extra" work during the rotation. (Did extra calls, spent more time in clinic, did an extra presentation). I couldn't ask for an LOR at the time because I didn't have my AAMC number and now I'm not sure if I should go back and try to get one, since it's been so long since I did the rotation. Plus, the hospital was in NYC and I'm in Akron right now. I'm also worried that the letter that I will get might just be a generic letter, since there were so many students in the rotation and I didn't really work with the person who actually writes the letter. Would it be odd not to have a letter from my peds core rotation and have all my letters from elective rotations? So far I've finished a Peds Psych and Peds Heme/Onc (both finished within the last two months). For both rotations I worked one-on-one with the attendings and did well during both rotations, so I think I'll get a stronger, more personalized letter from them. Also, is it OK to have all your letters from the same institution? or should I try to get atleast one letter from a different place?

Thanks.
 
My $0.02 after finishing up application season (n=1)

- It is much better to not have a letter from your core peds rotation if you are not going to have a strong letter. A generic letter does you no good.

- It is just fine to have your letters from one institution. I did an away last year, but didn't do it until October, so I didn't have a letter from it, which was fine.

- If you are doing a Sub-I in the next couple of months, make sure you get one from that rotation; it would do a great job of replacing your 3rd year core rotation letter

- Your letters don't really need to be in until November 1st (when dean's letters are due).

- You may need one of the following, depending on the program you apply to: a chairman's letter, a program director's letter, or clerkship director's letter. You won't need all three.

- Don't be afraid to not have all of your letters come from peds. If you have an awesome letter from an FP doc, or from an internist - use it!

Check out the FAQ for more about application stuff:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=216235

I wrote a fair amount about this, and I'm sure others have great thoughts on this as well!

Good luck!!
 
I'm just about to start the process for ERAS applications for the 2009 match. I'm going for Peds. Just have a question re: LORs. I finished my core peds rotation more that 6 months ago. I did really well. I made it clear to the attending that I was going into peds and so I did "extra" work during the rotation. (Did extra calls, spent more time in clinic, did an extra presentation). I couldn't ask for an LOR at the time because I didn't have my AAMC number and now I'm not sure if I should go back and try to get one, since it's been so long since I did the rotation. Plus, the hospital was in NYC and I'm in Akron right now. I'm also worried that the letter that I will get might just be a generic letter, since there were so many students in the rotation and I didn't really work with the person who actually writes the letter. Would it be odd not to have a letter from my peds core rotation and have all my letters from elective rotations? So far I've finished a Peds Psych and Peds Heme/Onc (both finished within the last two months). For both rotations I worked one-on-one with the attendings and did well during both rotations, so I think I'll get a stronger, more personalized letter from them. Also, is it OK to have all your letters from the same institution? or should I try to get atleast one letter from a different place?

Thanks.

I would get the Peds Clerkship letter reguardless of whether or not you want to use it. It is not a problem to send in four or maybe even more letters to ERAS. I would suspect that not having a pediatric core clerkship letter would look odd. I think that if you did really well in it, i.e. honors and did extra stuff then they most assuredly WILL remember you and write you a great letter. How you jog their memory could include putting in information about what extras you did to remind them, I think that would be ok. Some programs let you send in more than three letters, so I would guess that four would be better.

I am guessing in your case that the clerkship director remembers you and will write an excellent letter, I don't think 6 months is too long. LORs are all "excellent" anyway, however, if the clerkship director is a big shot everybody knows and you impressed this person, then I would think this would have more weight than equally excellent letters, but from a community pediatrician in a no-name community hospital.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so LOR...

It's true that a good letter is a good letter, but a great letter can really make a difference I think. During my interviews, my LORs were frequently commented on.

I agree that if you made a good impression on an attending, and especially since you expressed interest in pediatrics, he should remember you and write a nice letter. I got an LOR from a surgeon whom I worked with in Sept- so I approached him about a letter 10 months later- and though I waived my right to see it, more than one interviewer mentioned what a nice letter it was.

I did not have a core peds clerkship letter, I think CrazyPeds is right that a SubI letter would be great if you are able to obtain one (I didn't have one of those either). Also, although technically not due until Nov 1, my med school required LOR by October 1st, and they were very firm on that policy, so just make sure you know what your school's time line is.

All my letters came from the same institution, I didn't do any aways, I wouldn't worry about that too much at all- I would just go with where you think the attgs got to know you and saw your skills the best-- but i agree: try to pick the academic folk for letters.
 
Thanks for all the responses (on this forum and the General Residency Forum). In response to Winged Scapula's question on the Gen Res forum: I haven't done my FM rotation yet. Doing it in October. I've done IM, but I didn't spend enough time with a single attending so I didn't think I'd get a strong letter. Plus, I sort of blew off IM (especially when compared to the work I did for my peds rotation). Sorry about the double posting. Wasn't sure where I'd get the most views. Warning acknowledged!😀

I'm not doing an "official" Peds Sub-I. The last rotation I did, I was treated like a sub-I, even though it was just a regular MS4 rotation. I did all the H&Ps, wrote the admission orders (with help from the interns/residents), presented my patients on morning rounds, came up with an assessment/plan which I discussed with the intern/resident and communicated with the families. I was considering doing the official sub-I rotation at the same hospital, but I decided not to risk it in case I screw up/don't perform as expected. So now what? Should I try to get a letter from my Peds core rotation?
 
Thanks for all the responses (on this forum and the General Residency Forum). In response to Winged Scapula's question on the Gen Res forum: I haven't done my FM rotation yet. Doing it in October. I've done IM, but I didn't spend enough time with a single attending so I didn't think I'd get a strong letter. Plus, I sort of blew off IM (especially when compared to the work I did for my peds rotation). Sorry about the double posting. Wasn't sure where I'd get the most views. Warning acknowledged!😀

I'm not doing an "official" Peds Sub-I. The last rotation I did, I was treated like a sub-I, even though it was just a regular MS4 rotation. I did all the H&Ps, wrote the admission orders (with help from the interns/residents), presented my patients on morning rounds, came up with an assessment/plan which I discussed with the intern/resident and communicated with the families. I was considering doing the official sub-I rotation at the same hospital, but I decided not to risk it in case I screw up/don't perform as expected. So now what? Should I try to get a letter from my Peds core rotation?

Although I have never tried it. . . .I think it would be fine to ask your pediatric core director if he/she could write you a "strong" letter of recommendation for pediatrics residency. If they would be thrilled to then do it, if not then don't use it for residency (this would also test to see if they could remember you.)
 
Although I have never tried it. . . .I think it would be fine to ask your pediatric core director if he/she could write you a "strong" letter of recommendation for pediatrics residency. If they would be thrilled to then do it, if not then don't use it for residency (this would also test to see if they could remember you.)

I'm quite sure that I'll get a strong letter from my core rotation. I heard that all the students who get an "A" in the rotation at that hospital (which I did) get a certain type of letter (very strong), compared to those students who get a "B" or a "C" (they get a "good" letter). What I'm worried about is that they might be using templates and they just insert different names when they issue the letters. Is that the way it's usually done? That's what I'm worried about. I might have to remind them of who I am and the extra things I did, which I would like to be included in my letter.
 
I'm quite sure that I'll get a strong letter from my core rotation. I heard that all the students who get an "A" in the rotation at that hospital (which I did) get a certain type of letter (very strong), compared to those students who get a "B" or a "C" (they get a "good" letter). What I'm worried about is that they might be using templates and they just insert different names when they issue the letters. Is that the way it's usually done? That's what I'm worried about. I might have to remind them of who I am and the extra things I did, which I would like to be included in my letter.

I don't know how pediatric clerkship PDs write LORs, if they have templates or not, . . . but I suspect this varies from one place to another. I think the big picture is getting an A and performing well on the clerkship, if you get a special letter then good. Even it was say an excellent form letter, then I don't know how the PD would be able to tell it apart from just a more personalized LOR . . . Do you want to go to a supercompetitive place?? I think that doing well in third year, striving for good to excellent board score is the meat of it . . . I would agree with the above that doing a pedi-subI would be a good idea, and I guess that could give you a more specialized/personal experience/letter. I don't think there is anything wrong with reminding people with what you did.

I think that most LORs are viewed a being worthless though, unless the Program Director actually knows the letter writer/is someone famous. Supposedly they will all be excellent anyway! I think they want to see how unsolicited evals of you are, i.e. look at all grades in third year, maybe an emphasis a little more on peds, . . . anyone can get good/excellent LORs by selecting the right people IMHO
 
I'm quite sure that I'll get a strong letter from my core rotation... I might have to remind them of who I am and the extra things I did, which I would like to be included in my letter.

Sounds like giving them a copy of your CV and maybe including a statement about your extra activities while on service in your request for a LOR would be appropriate. 🙂
 
Yes, that's probably the best way - send your CV and whatever else you can use in terms of reminders (maybe somebody took pictures of you and the rest of the Peds team, ...) when asking for a LOR. That way, the letter will not only be more personalized because it includes your extra involvement on the core rotation, but also helps the writer remember you better and deviate from whatever template they might have.
After all, the most valued LORs are the ones from people who know you well, even if they aren't department chairs.