Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcgregor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that it is proper etiquette to ask for letters of recommendation in person rather than in an e-mail. However the professor I want to ask teaches at my old school which is over an hour an hour away. Since this is the situation, does anyone think that it would be okay for me to ask for a letter of recommendation through e-mail?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd get his number and give him a call. If for some reason that's not possible, then I'd email.

I emailed one teacher and asked the other face to face. The one I emailed didn't seem to mind....

Members don't see this ad :)
i emailed my professor who i havent seen for 2 years and she didnt mind at all. But she knew me pretty well, so i guess it depends on how well you know the reference

I asked one PT in person and two through e-mail and they all wrote letters for me.

I would prefer to do stuff face to face, but if it is out of the way just email or call them. I had one professor through email and I haven't seen her for three years. I was one of her best students though. If they don't remember you, tough luck! She is 68 years old and was a professor emeritus, so she has a bad memory, but somehow remembered me. For the other LORs, I just asked my boss and another PT from the hospital I volunteered at. All were happy to help.

I have another question for recs, if a school requires lets say, 2 recs, would it be okay to send in 3? Would it make your application look any better? I would like to ask 2 PT's and a professor for recs which makes 3.

Just an aside,

i had one professor specifically tell me ask my letter writers via email or by a written note. They told me they preferred this way since it is more formal and it also is easier to decline writing a LOR for someone via email than it is to their face.

He said he has said yes to people before when he didn't think he could really write anything of substance, just because he couldn't say no to their face.

:)
But hey, I think whatever works.

I have another question for recs, if a school requires lets say, 2 recs, would it be okay to send in 3? Would it make your application look any better? I would like to ask 2 PT's and a professor for recs which makes 3.

I did that, but first I contacted the school and asked if it was ok to do that.

My schools required 3 but I sent in 4 rec letters, which is acceptable through PTCAS.