Letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ry19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel that I already know the answer to this, but how inconsiderate is it to ask for a letter of recommendation with a deadline in less than a week? It's for a residency that I started researching the past weekend only to find the deadline next Saturday.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's someone you are comfortable with, then you can say "Hey I just found out about this residency, I'm really interested in applying; this is why I feel it is a great fit for me" would you be able to help me out with a LOR even though the deadline is super soon?

In general, very inconsiderate (obviously) but of course each case is different. I had to do this this application season. My third LOR to my program totally fell through and I couldn't get in touch with the person and the deadline was looming. I was in a totally desperate situation.

Basically I tucked my tail between my legs and explained exactly what had happened, apologized profusely for the short notice, and gave the person every possible out, acknowledging that it was ridiculously, rudely short notice, and they may not feel comfortable doing it. I think it's okay if you take that approach (and really mean it.) Obviously it's obnoxious if you ask with an entitled attitude and don't acknowledge how short notice it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who provides recommendations for others, I suggest at least a 2-week notice. The quick turn-around request reflects poor planning on your part (why weren't you looking for residencies sooner if you want to apply?). You will likely not receive as strong of a recommendation if you do not plan ahead. You need to respect the time of the busy individuals from whom you request recommendations. Begin to plan ahead and apply for residencies with later application due dates.

when i first read this, I took it to mean you were asking somebody from the forum for a LOR. I don't think this is what you meant, but I believe that is unethical and inappropriate to try and get one just because you have to. That aside, and trust me...I'm not hating, if you go to somebody you trust and who is qualified to write you one, give them a few days. You tell them the situation, apologize profusely, but state the seriousness of it. If they are a true mentor, they can probably bust one out in an hour. If they respect you, have the time, and truly want you to succeed, it should not be a big deal. They understand the importance of the LOR. Best of luck!