Letters to ADCOMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizan0

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

When sending letters to ADCOMS or deans of admission, do you think it is worthwhile to hand-write the entire letter? Or is it ok to just type it and sign?

Thanks, kids.

Members don't see this ad.

pizan0 said:
Hey all,

When sending letters to ADCOMS or deans of admission, do you think it is worthwhile to hand-write the entire letter? Or is it ok to just type it and sign?

Thanks, kids.
I've heard that hand-writing is the way to go, however, since I would like the deans to be able to read my letters, I shall be typing them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say type and sign it. It's more legible and professional-looking that way.

Votes:
Typed: 2
Hand-written: 1

RxnMan said:
I'd say type and sign it. It's more legible and professional-looking that way.

Votes:
Typed: 2
Hand-written: 1

Type and hand-sign

if its worth anything, the dean at BU mentions handwriting a letter to them a few weeks post interview. but since my handwriting is awful and i wanted to get a message across, i still typed and signed. i think the whole idea would be to force people away from form letters, which isn't a problem if you actually take the time to say something other than "_____ was great and i hope to _____ there next fall"

Personally I type everything (business letter format) and sign, it's much more professional.

The exception is thank you notes. I use little cards that are blank on the inside and hand write the thank you note. I think that seems more appropriate than a type written thank you.

So, on the topic of letters to adcom, I sent one a week ago to a school on my list. Included with it was an update on my transcript and some other updates as well.

So I get a response in my email and it basically says this:

"Hey n00b, we sent you a rejection a few months ago.

Owned."

*cries*

Type unless it's a thank-you note. We're supposed to have bad handwriting anyway.