Letters to Profs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i'm wondering the best way to write a letter to a professor i'm interested in working with for grad school. how much detail should i involve etc.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In addition to what tkj said, many professors won't even know if they are taking students next year. Heck some didn't even know when I emailed them in September this past year! (though most did).

I'd give it at least a few more months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Yikes! Great initiative, wanting to get those letters out this early! But, I agree with the others that it is a little too early to make the connections. I'd suggest you wait until early August (before things get hectic with classes but late enough that profs will have an idea of whether they have an opening). I'd further suggest you spend the summer researching schools to apply to, if you haven't put a ton of work into that already, and find places with great fit with your interests.

For the letters themselves, read at least one study by every single prof you want to work with. Mention something (something *genuine*!) about your interest in the area, an idea you have for a spin-off study, or whatever. Profs get a million "Hi, taking anyone?" "Hi, taking anyone?" e-mails from student professing interest in them. Doing the reading will do more than profess interest, it'll demonstrate it! You're MUCH more likely to have a short back-and-forth exchange with the prof ("Great idea for a follow-up. But what about blah blah?") which will result in your being distinguished from the horde of prospective applicants. The really important thing to emphasize, I suggest, if that your interest in them stems out of a real, solid fascination with what they're doing in terms of their work and that it's something you want to pursue.

And, while you didn't ask about it, I'll provide the unsolicited advice to make sure to do this for **EVERY** prof you have on your potential list. Not finding out if the prof is taking a student can result in a waste of time making an application to a school. Profs take sabbaticals, they go on mat/pat leave, their grants don't go through and limit their # of students, they retire, and their interests shift. You MUST contact every prof by e-mail before you apply!!

well, i guess i was outside the standard deviation since I contacted the professor I will be working with this fall last May 2006. I received a prompt response since our interest overlapped, and when I visited in August, we met for a 2-3 hours informal "interview" which further cemented my desire to work with him and his program. He was basically my counselor throughout the admissions process (editing my SoP, etc), however, i don't know how I did at other schools because I got accepted to his program pretty early in the cycle and withdrew my applications to other places. But, like we all say...it only takes one. hell, if I knew for sure I would have only applied to one school and saved myself $, time, and trouble.

Anyway, to future applicants, good luck!! :luck: