Letters to the admissions office prior to applying.

Started by bobd2014
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bobd2014

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone again,
Is it a good idea to send a letter to someone in the admissions department of the med schools I plan to apply, to introduce myself and get information on the best path I should take to raise my chances at getting accepted in the program?

As you can tell I'm new to the board, so I have plenty of questions to ask..
 
Hi everyone again,
Is it a good idea to send a letter to someone in the admissions department of the med schools I plan to apply, to introduce myself and get information on the best path I should take to raise my chances at getting accepted in the program?
.
No. This makes you appear special in a snowflake way that we are all getting weary of (we, meaning admissions, not SDN!).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No. This makes you appear special in a snowflake way that we are all getting weary of (we, meaning admissions, not SDN!).

Thanks

Just wondering, when is the best time to recommended in terms of applying? (after MCAT?, after BS completion?, after all pre-reqs?, etc)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should not need to send them a letter unless something is required. An update after an interview if you've had something published or some new clinical experiences or whatnot, but not to introduce yourself.

Just don't do it.
 
the cycle for MD and DO schools starts around Jun 1. By now, it's getting really, really late for MD, but the DO cycle is much longer, and you're fine until Dec.

You apply when you have the best possible app, which competitive GPA MCAT and ECs in. It's OK to apply in your senior year, or end of junior IF you have everything.

Thanks

Just wondering, when is the best time to recommended in terms of applying? (after MCAT?, after BS completion?, after all pre-reqs?, etc)