letting on about an acceptance in an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riopsedm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this topic has been discussed already, but having been accepted in a an in-state school, and interviewing at another one this week, would it be wise/unwise/does it even matter to let on that i have been accepted elsewhere? truth be told, i'd rather go where i'm interviewing this week...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Tell the truth about your other acceptance if they ask but then explain what is most important to you in choosing a school and mention that the school you are interviewing at has those things that you want so it is top choice or one of your top choices. Just let on to them that you like them better!!!

Sure, tell the truth IF ASKED, but I don't volunteer acceptances...seems a bit wierd to me to do so...

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell the truth! Tell them you got accepted to the other school but that you'll attend their's if accepted. That is the bare bone of the matter so you have to cream it up with a little diplomacy. What you'll be essentially doing is forwarding a strong recommendation for yourself. It's not scheming or trickery; it's plain and simple honesty. Do it!

I forgot to mention that you should slide it in there whether you're asked or not.

I told my interviewers that I had already been accepted when I got the inevetable "What if you don't get in?" question. I just said that I have already been accepted, but I am interested in this school. The interviews changed drastically after that; they seemed much more focused on selling the school rather than evaluating me.

I say tell 'em. :)