Letting your license lapse?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Bobblehead, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Bobblehead

    Bobblehead Senior Member
    Physician 15+ Year Member

    Nov 30, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    Anyone here in a position of having to choose to renew a full medical license in another state where you're not planning on practicing? As far as applications for licenses went was about mid-level on the annoyance scale and reasonably cheap ($300 for a new application, $135 for this year-long renewal). I think I'm going to let the license lapse since if I were to return it wouldn't be for another 3 years at least which would cost more than a brand new license.

    Anyone here do something different?
  2. BKN

    BKN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

    Oct 31, 2005
    Likes Received:
    If you have any plans of going back, don't let it lapse. An inactive license followed by recredentialling would be a red flag.You might have to explain at length to multiple agencies (other boards, DEA, hospital credentials, HMOs) why your license was inactive for a period of time.

    On the other hand, if you were sure you wouldn't return to that state, "I don't live there anymore" is easily understandable.
  3. f_w

    f_w 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

    Jan 30, 2005
    Likes Received:
    Some states (e.g. MD) allow you to put a license 'asleep'. You pay a one-time fee, and the license is put in mothballs. If you need it activated, you pay the regular annual fee and you have to supply some of the database excerpts (like the national practicioner database and the board action database). But you don't have to go through the whole rigmarole with internship certification and the like. Contact the medical board, at times this mechanism is not advertised on their website.

    Be careful. Some states don't like you to just have your license lapse by non-payment. They list that as a negative entry as you have 'lost' your right to practice in that state. They want you to actively turn in your license if you don't practice there anymore. Contact the state medical board (or licensing department) on what their procedure is.

    Often it is a better idea just to keep the license active (especially at a bargain price like $135). It is less of a hassle than re-credentialing later on, and you have the opportunity to do moonlighting gigs or locums coverage in that state on short notice.

Share This Page