Step I Leukocyte extravasation

Started by Phloston
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
P. 247 of FA2012 gives a list of the order in which different molecules participate in the induction of leukocyte extravasation.

P-selectin is listed under E-selectin.

In contrast, University of Utah Webpath says, "P-selectin is expressed rapidly, while E-selectin is expressed within several hours."

Wikipedia is non-specific. I also can't be bothered to delve into PubMed for this detail.

Does anyone with a good immuno background know which one is actually expressed first (btw, I've caught plenty of errors in Utah's webpath, which is why I'm circumspect here).

Thanks a lot!

~Phloston
 
I would suspect that P-selectin would be released first since histamine is what causes its release. (pre-formed and local)

Whereas E-selectin is released later because of TNF and Il-1 ?

Overall I don't think it matters. I haven't had a single question asking this, nor did it come up in immuno-class.
 
P. 247 of FA2012 gives a list of the order in which different molecules participate in the induction of leukocyte extravasation.

P-selectin is listed under E-selectin.

In contrast, University of Utah Webpath says, "P-selectin is expressed rapidly, while E-selectin is expressed within several hours."

Wikipedia is non-specific. I also can't be bothered to delve into PubMed for this detail.

Does anyone with a good immuno background know which one is actually expressed first (btw, I've caught plenty of errors in Utah's webpath, which is why I'm circumspect here).

Thanks a lot!

~Phloston

I don't think FA was putting them in a particular order, just listing them as being involved.
P-selectin is released from the Weibel-Palade bodies, mediated by histamine.
E-selectin is induced by TNF and IL-1 from macrophages.

Since P selectin is stored I would say it is the first to appear because E selectin requires cytokines to induce its expression on the endothelial cells.
 
I would suspect that P-selectin would be released first since histamine is what causes its release. (pre-formed and local)

Whereas E-selectin is released later because of TNF and Il-1 ?

Overall I don't think it matters. I haven't had a single question asking this, nor did it come up in immuno-class.

👍 what he said 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would suspect that P-selectin would be released first since histamine is what causes its release. (pre-formed and local)

Whereas E-selectin is released later because of TNF and Il-1 ?

That sounds right.

P-selectin is released from the Weibel-Palade bodies, mediated by histamine.
E-selectin is induced by TNF and IL-1 from macrophages.

Since P selectin is stored I would say it is the first to appear because E selectin requires cytokines to induce its expression on the endothelial cells.

I had completely forgotten about the Weibel-Palade bodies, but that makes a lot more sense now, given that P-selectin would quickly just be released from them.

Thanks a lot, guys.
 
I believe my Immuno notes say the selectins slow down the leukocytes, the integrins form tight bonds, and then PECAM enables diapedesis. P-Selectin is definitely associated with Histamine, and E-Selectin with TNFa/IL-1.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8340753

"Thus, the process of leukocyte emigration can be dissected into three successive stages: rolling, mediated by the selectin class of adhesion molecules; tight adhesion, mediated by the leukocyte integrins and their endothelial cell counter-receptors; and now transmigration, which, based on these studies, requires PECAM-1."