• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Osaka, Japan
mehlmanmedical.com
P. 247 of FA2012 gives a list of the order in which different molecules participate in the induction of leukocyte extravasation.

P-selectin is listed under E-selectin.

In contrast, University of Utah Webpath says, "P-selectin is expressed rapidly, while E-selectin is expressed within several hours."

Wikipedia is non-specific. I also can't be bothered to delve into PubMed for this detail.

Does anyone with a good immuno background know which one is actually expressed first (btw, I've caught plenty of errors in Utah's webpath, which is why I'm circumspect here).

Thanks a lot!

~Phloston

MrBigglesworth

Meow
10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would suspect that P-selectin would be released first since histamine is what causes its release. (pre-formed and local)

Whereas E-selectin is released later because of TNF and Il-1 ?

Overall I don't think it matters. I haven't had a single question asking this, nor did it come up in immuno-class.

JRjcu08

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
P. 247 of FA2012 gives a list of the order in which different molecules participate in the induction of leukocyte extravasation.

P-selectin is listed under E-selectin.

In contrast, University of Utah Webpath says, "P-selectin is expressed rapidly, while E-selectin is expressed within several hours."

Wikipedia is non-specific. I also can't be bothered to delve into PubMed for this detail.

Does anyone with a good immuno background know which one is actually expressed first (btw, I've caught plenty of errors in Utah's webpath, which is why I'm circumspect here).

Thanks a lot!

~Phloston

I don't think FA was putting them in a particular order, just listing them as being involved.
P-selectin is released from the Weibel-Palade bodies, mediated by histamine.
E-selectin is induced by TNF and IL-1 from macrophages.

Since P selectin is stored I would say it is the first to appear because E selectin requires cytokines to induce its expression on the endothelial cells.

JRjcu08

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would suspect that P-selectin would be released first since histamine is what causes its release. (pre-formed and local)

Overall I don't think it matters. I haven't had a single question asking this, nor did it come up in immuno-class.

:thumbup: what he said :thumbup:

About the Ads

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Osaka, Japan
mehlmanmedical.com

That sounds right.

P-selectin is released from the Weibel-Palade bodies, mediated by histamine.
E-selectin is induced by TNF and IL-1 from macrophages.

Since P selectin is stored I would say it is the first to appear because E selectin requires cytokines to induce its expression on the endothelial cells.

I had completely forgotten about the Weibel-Palade bodies, but that makes a lot more sense now, given that P-selectin would quickly just be released from them.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I believe my Immuno notes say the selectins slow down the leukocytes, the integrins form tight bonds, and then PECAM enables diapedesis. P-Selectin is definitely associated with Histamine, and E-Selectin with TNFa/IL-1.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8340753

"Thus, the process of leukocyte emigration can be dissected into three successive stages: rolling, mediated by the selectin class of adhesion molecules; tight adhesion, mediated by the leukocyte integrins and their endothelial cell counter-receptors; and now transmigration, which, based on these studies, requires PECAM-1."

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.