Level 3 COMLEX & 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMDoc607

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of interviews for internal medicine. I know throughout 3rd year people would be using USMLE World as the year went on to study. Many residents told me to take Level 3 as soon as I can. Either way, does anyone think maybe getting the year subscription for COMQUEST now and doing them slowly wlill be helpfu for Level 3l? I rather take it sooner than later.

With that being said, the earliest I would get it would be in March or April....

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the middle of interviews for internal medicine. I know throughout 3rd year people would be using USMLE World as the year went on to study. Many residents told me to take Level 3 as soon as I can. Either way, does anyone think maybe getting the year subscription for COMQUEST now and doing them slowly wlill be helpfu for Level 3l? I rather take it sooner than later.

With that being said, the earliest I would get it would be in March or April....

You cant sign up for the test until you graduate and your school sends the ok to the NBOME that you graduated. It will probably be at least 2 weeks after you graduated until you can sign up,then you will be lucky to get a date before you start residency.
I know this because I looked into it last year. Sorry, but unless you graduate early, you cant do it until Summer. But, I recommend you wait anyways. My residency program pays for Comlex 3 as long as I pass(I took it 2 wks ago). This is 600+ dollars you dont want to waste if you have that option.

I would take it ASAP. Specially if, as your name implies, you're going into IM. Trust me...You do NOT want to be re-memorising milestones & fetal heart tracings etc as an intern.
Most of my friends that took it did not perceive a significant difference b/w the Step 2 & Step 3 Qs (unlike USMLE) & many stated they could have walked out of one test & into the other on the same day with probably the same results.
Scheduling may be an issue, but try your best to get it out of the way soon since then you can concentrate on residency specific learning & not have to worry about bleeding pregnant ladies ever again. :D