Levels per slide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a colleague the other day and he mentioned that their protocol is to only cut two levels on two slides for GI bx's. He suggested that I do the same where I'm at. I've always been used to three levels x three slides, but he said it's overkill. What do you think and what do your institutions do?

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked at many labs over the years( I did locums for a while). Usually GI gets two slides each with a ribbon containing 2-3 adjacent cuts.
I am sure you are picking up a few extra polyps etc.

However, you are spending 33% more time reading and cutting. The clinical impact is small IMO.

We do two slides on GI biopsies with two ribbons on each slide, except if the case is marked as r/o Barrett's and then we do 4 slides. I generally order 3 additional levels if they call someting a polyp and I don't see a polyp on the initial levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do 3 levels on 1 slide (if possible) which works for most small biopsies (GI, skin). Endometrium and endocervical bx's get 2 levels, 1 slide if possible. If the tissues are larger, we'll use more slides. But putting different levels on different slides often just wastes slides. We can usually get 2-3 profiles per ribbon on each section of the slide, as well. Levels are up to individual discretion beyond that.

Reactions: 1 user