Leverage for weekend coverge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nexus73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work an inpatient psych unit in a fairly small town. Currently I have to cover every 5th weekend. While not bad, my issue is I'm growing increasingly tired of the weekend work duties, and my preference would be to have none (unless I wanted the money, and at this point I value the time off over the money),

Aside from the few psychiatrists covering the hospital, there are only 2 outpatient psychiatrists in town, one of them covers the hospital on weekends, the other doesn't. There is a mid sized city an hour away with more psychiatrists, but none of the ones I've talked to have any interest in picking up weekend coverage work.

While I know everything can be negotiated, does anyone have experience getting hospitals to hire locum tenens to cover weekends? I've been vocal pushing the hospital to hire weekend coverage from the town an hour away, but I don't think anything is truly being done.

Members don't see this ad.

As one of the beneficiaries of people hiring someone else to cover, the trend I've seen is they do it when they've reached the point that they fear people are about to leave if they don't get help.

Reactions: 1 users