LGBT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epinephrine2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any LGBT Optometry clubs? If not, I am interested in starting one and would like to get the message out there. Any others interested? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about a club at your school? If so, I don't think you would be able to get many members simply because of the fact that both the subset of LBGT individuals and the subset of pre-opt students within a school are going to both be relatively small. Now combining both of those together, statistically it's unlikely you will find many LBGT pre-opt students in any one locale.

Which school are you attending? You could get in touch with people in your class to find out if such a club exists at your college; if it doesn't, I'm sure you could start one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about a club at your school? If so, I don't think you would be able to get many members simply because of the fact that both the subset of LBGT individuals and the subset of pre-opt students within a school are going to both be relatively small. Now combining both of those together, statistically it's unlikely you will find many LBGT pre-opt students in any one locale.

I agree, VTECaddict. I was just curious if there was anything in the nation for lgbt optometrists. I am simply interested in establishing credibility and forming a liaison between all optometrists. I just realized my post may have been misleading. I wasn't intending to form a pre-optometry club, but a club for current optometry students. Thanks for the input!

Which school are you attending? You could get in touch with people in your class to find out if such a club exists at your college; if it doesn't, I'm sure you could start one.

Commando, I'm attending the Illinois College of Optometry. That being said, Chicago will be an opportune community to start something up. It will be a lot more enabling than if I were to attend a school in Alabama! I'm not knocking Alabama, I just mean the diverse population in Chicago will provide a great springboard to get a club started.

I have received a few PM's from you all, so that is encouraging. With enough interest I'll put something together!

Ahh, I see. In that case, I'm not sure if one already exists. But it would be quite some work trying to establish something between different optometry schools across the nation. Maybe start with a Facebook group or something and spread the word? Good luck!

I think there is one at Western; you might want to get in touch with them.

I agree, VTECaddict. I was just curious if there was anything in the nation for lgbt optometrists. I am simply interested in establishing credibility and forming a liaison between all optometrists. I just realized my post may have been misleading. I wasn't intending to form a pre-optometry club, but a club for current optometry students. Thanks for the input!

Commando, I'm attending the Illinois College of Optometry. That being said, Chicago will be an opportune community to start something up. It will be a lot more enabling than if I were to attend a school in Alabama! I'm not knocking Alabama, I just mean the diverse population in Chicago will provide a great springboard to get a club started.

I have received a few PM's from you all, so that is encouraging. With enough interest I'll put something together!

Hey, I've not yet ruled out I.C.O., so I might see you there.

As for the club, try posting on the school's Web site (for students); tape up fliers; talk to others who might be interested. If you find no organization exists that fits what you have in mind, you may just begin your own.

I was totally wondering the same thing! I just got accepted to ICO, and I would love to join a group like that! Let me know if you end up there!

Congratulations! Unfortunately, I made a last-minute switch to OSU. The Buckeyes were too swooning to say no to. However, I encourage you to get something going at ICO - there has to be plenty of students interested. Also, we could explore the idea of getting a national organization in the mix? I realize it may be a lot of work, but it could start small and grow bigger.