LGBTQ Resources for Pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Introduction

I was born intersex, surgically designated male at 6 years old, and currently identify as both genderqueer and transfemale (she/her/hers pronouns). In other words, my clothes and appearance vacillate between androgynous, feminine, and masculine, while my personality traits and legal gender remain distinctly female.

I was a medical student when @otterxavier and I created this forum. I gradually came out during my second year of medical school, 13 years after nearly losing my life as a victim of a violent hate crime in the South. I endured many barriers along the way, including several challenging interactions with peers, staff, and faculty, and was even denied hormone replacement therapy (HRT) at my medical school's student health clinic. But my experiences only made me stronger and more passionate to ensure lasting, positive change is achieved as I pursue a career of leadership, health policy, and research as a physician. I remain dedicated to local and world-wide LGBTQI communities and helped establish our school's first LGBTQI student organization alongside a tenacious group of my queer and allied co-founding friends. I hope SDN's visibility, accessibility, and utility will facilitate the spread of information, support, and resources to those in need.

This thread

I compiled a list of resources relevant to dealing with LGBTQI issues as they relate to medical school, surviving medical school, applying to residency, et cetera. Please feel free to send me, @otterxavier, or @tantacles a PM to have something added. I'm eager to see this list grow. Good luck, stay strong, and focus on your goals!

Sincerest,
G

SDN threads (recent)

This thread discusses applying as a transwoman.
This thread discusses disclosing trans status in your personal statement.
This is the current LGBTQIA applicant thread.
This is a thread discussing disclosing LGBT status in diversity essays.
This thread reveals perspectives on identifying as LGBT in medical school.
This is another thread that discusses LGBT experiences as a medical student.
This thread discusses LGBT experiences specifically at osteopathic (DO) schools.

LGBTQIA Medblrs (Tumblr blogs)
trans-medicine.tumblr.com (my own blog)
collaterlysisters.tumblr.com (another colleague identifying as a queer transwoman)

Gender variant, non-SDN resources (original, full list by alkanive)

Transgender:
Trans related terminology:
Understanding your gender identity:
Pronouns:
Intersex:
Nonbinary resources:
Two Spirit:
Transfeminine resources:
Transmasculine resources:
Coming out:
Trans mental health:
Trans advice/resource/discussion blogs and sites:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 26 users
QIA? Damn we're coming up on the whole alphabet.

Reactions: 9 users
Alphabet soup, but nothing quite like the version you'll be getting in med school, I assure you. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is awesome. Thanks Guero!

Reactions: 1 user
What a great idea to pull all of these resources together! Extra likes here!

Hello everyone,

I'm a second year medical student and identify as a genderqueer transwoman. I decided to slowly start coming out during medical school, 13 years after nearly losing my life as the victim of a violent hate crime, with plans to transition shortly before starting residency. It took a long time to overcome my PTSD and move forward to living as my true self. I've spent the last couple years active in our local LGBTQIA community and our school's first LGBTQIA student organization. As such, I thought it would be helpful to offer pre-meds a list of resources relevant to dealing with LGBTQIA issues as they relate to applying to medical school, surviving medical school, and other general issues. Please feel free to send me a PM to have something added, as I'd really like this list to grow. @Lee will be putting this in a sticky soon. Good luck, stay strong, and focus on your goals!

Sincerest,
G

SDN threads (recent)

This thread discusses applying as a transwoman.
This thread discusses disclosing trans status in your personal statement.
This is the current LGBTQIA applicant thread.
This is a thread discussing disclosing LGBT status in diversity essays.
This thread reveals perspectives on identifying as LGBT in medical school.
This is another thread that discusses LGBT experiences as a medical student.
This thread discusses LGBT experiences specifically at osteopathic (DO) schools.

LGBTQIA Medblrs (Tumblr blogs)
trans-medicine.tumblr.com (my own blog)
collaterlysisters.tumblr.com (another colleague identifying as a queer transwoman)

Gender variant, non-SDN resources (original, full list by alkanive)

Transgender:
Trans related terminology:
Understanding your gender identity:
Pronouns:
Intersex:
Nonbinary resources:
Two Spirit:
Transfeminine resources:
Transmasculine resources:
Coming out:
Trans mental health:
Trans advice/resource/discussion blogs and sites:

Reactions: 2 users
Are QIA for queer, intersex and asexual? I am not up to date on these things.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

A second "A" used to be included in the acronym for "ally" but we don't typically include it now since they are simply supporters and advocates of LGBTQQIA individuals and do not struggle under the same societal and legal pressures.

Reactions: 6 users
Are QIA for queer, intersex and asexual? I am not up to date on these things.
The folks below did a great job of hitting the nail on the head. Although, there's been quite the controversy regarding including intersex among those within that community. Being born intersex myself, I prefer to include it in my usage of the acronym.
Q can also stand for questioning and A for ally
Ah! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

A second "A" used to be included in the acronym for "ally" but we don't typically include it now since they are simply supporters and advocates of LGBTQQIA individuals and do not struggle under the same societal and legal pressures.
You're very welcome! If you find anything else you'd like added, please let me know.
This is certainly a troll, but a decent one I must say.
The comedic irony in your response is nearly literary in quality.

This is awesome, thank you for posting. Everyone can benefit from reading these resources. Trans people are one of the largest medically marginalized groups and familiarizing yourself with this issue is the first step in changing that.

Reactions: 4 users
Is someone going to add something about sexual orientation? You didn't link to any resources about any of the other letters in the initialism other than trans. The thread needs to answer basic questions about homosexuality (and people do have them).

Also I didn't click through all those links but shouldn't there be something from a mainstream organization like WPATH and fewer Tumblrs?

Last edited:
Is someone going to add something about sexual orientation? You didn't link to any resources about any of the other letters in the initialism other than trans. The thread needs to answer basic questions about homosexuality (and people do have them).

Also I didn't click through all those links but shouldn't there be something from a mainstream organization like WPATH and fewer Tumblrs?
Actually, I did include some, but not nearly enough (e.g., some of the SDN threads specifically address some of the other identities, like being gay and lesbian). That's why I specifically asked for others to add to this list. :) I very much want to include those equally important issues, but am limited by the time commitments of medical school, research, activism, et cetera. Please feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll add anything you or anyone else finds. Thanks for the input and underscoring that this list is not yet nearly complete!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You stand for boring :sleep:

A for ally is like the most important letter in this thread as it was written for GLBT allies

Yes.... Allies are more important than the GLBTA(as in asexual/agender)+ minorities these allies are trying to support.... *cue deafening silence as you re-think your post*

The acronym has different meaning for different people and that's fine as you appreciate everyone who identifies with it and the point of it.

Yes.... Allies are more important than the GLBTA(as in asexual/agender)+ minorities these allies are trying to support.... *cue deafening silence as you re-think your post*

The acronym has different meaning for different people and that's fine as you appreciate everyone who identifies with it and the point of it.

The club at my school is named LGBTQIAA, I know very well what one of those As stands for ;)

This is the stupidest argument I got in on SDN

Arguments and flame wars will always plague anonymous forums. And interpretations will always vary. The most important thing is to gather and scrutinize the information you need on your own and move forward. In that way, SDN can serve as an invaluable resource.

I think one of my physician mentors said it best when she gave me parting advice on my way to med school: "Never argue with another medical student; you're both correct." :pompous: Wheylp, back to playing catch-up and gorging GI lectures... :yawn:

I was wondering whether it stood for asexual or agender.
Its asexual. People who say the "A" is for "allies" are desperate to ingratiate themselves into the movement.
I remember this guy has a rant about how difficult it was to come out as an "ally," and it wasn't a joke.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm so glad this got stickied! Once I'm done with finals I'll see if I can gather some more resources to add to the list.

I'm so glad this got stickied! Once I'm done with finals I'll see if I can gather some more resources to add to the list.
Thank you! I'll be working on an intense scholarship app and studying for Step over the break; so any additions you can find would be a giant help!

Great thread with many wonderful resources! Thank you!

Wow. this is great.

While all the letters are great for specific recognition, I think it may be time to transitions over to a more generic label with fewer letters. It kind of feels like you're picking letters for the final round of Wheel of Fortune at this point lol. I vote for GSM, which stands for gender and sexual minorities.

Regardless of that issue, this is a great resource compilation. Thank you!

While all the letters are great for specific recognition, I think it may be time to transitions over to a more generic label with fewer letters. It kind of feels like you're picking letters for the final round of Wheel of Fortune at this point lol. I vote for GSM, which stands for gender and sexual minorities.

Yeah, I feel like it's getting a little verbose each time I reference the current acronym. I think that's a great idea, particularly the one you chose as an example. I hope to see it catch on.

And you're very welcome! Please let me know if you have anything to add. :) I'm still looking for additions.

glad to hear that there are transgender people in med school out there! I am a trans man and applying md/phd and have had a very time finding any resources specifically for transgender people so thank you!

I vote for GSM, which stands for gender and sexual minorities.
There's also GSRM, which stands for Gender, Sexual, and Romantic Minorities. Just because romantic orientation is separate from sexual orientation, even though most people's are tied together. But I guess GSM is shorter!

Just an update, I've been using GSM a lot lately. I hope my use helps contribute to its legitimation... I really like it.

i know this has been up for a while, but i felt compelled to say thank you - SDN was the last place i expected to find resources in my recent quest to figure out gender stuff. i have been furiously reading all over the internet, but some of your links were just what i needed. i really appreciate it, and it feels good to know that there are others in the medical world with similar situations!

i know this has been up for a while, but i felt compelled to say thank you - SDN was the last place i expected to find resources in my recent quest to figure out gender stuff. i have been furiously reading all over the internet, but some of your links were just what i needed. i really appreciate it, and it feels good to know that there are others in the medical world with similar situations!

You're so welcome! I'm very pleased to read that it helped. Lord knows I struggled for years myself. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know via PM or here. Stay strong. <3

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile