LGBTQ Resources for Pre-meds

Discussion in 'LGBTQ' started by Guero, Dec 6, 2015.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Guero

Guero 2QT2Bcis Plaidapus SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    Hello everyone,

I'm a third year medical student identifying as genderqueer and transfemme. I decided to slowly start coming out during medical school, 13 years after nearly losing my life as the victim of a violent hate crime, with plans to transition shortly before starting residency. It took a long time to overcome my PTSD and move forward to living as my true self. I've spent the last couple years active in our local LGBTQI community and our school's first LGBTQI student organization. As such, I thought it would be helpful to offer pre-meds a list of resources relevant to dealing with LGBTQI issues as they relate to applying to medical school, surviving medical school, and other general issues. Please feel free to send me, @linearbbq, or @tantacles a PM to have something added, as I'd really like this list to grow. Good luck, stay strong, and focus on your goals!

Sincerest,
    G

SDN threads (recent)

This thread discusses applying as a transwoman.
    This thread discusses disclosing trans status in your personal statement.
    This is the current LGBTQIA applicant thread.
    This is a thread discussing disclosing LGBT status in diversity essays.
    This thread reveals perspectives on identifying as LGBT in medical school.
    This is another thread that discusses LGBT experiences as a medical student.
    This thread discusses LGBT experiences specifically at osteopathic (DO) schools.

LGBTQIA Medblrs (Tumblr blogs)
    trans-medicine.tumblr.com (my own blog)
    collaterlysisters.tumblr.com (another colleague identifying as a queer transwoman)

Gender variant, non-SDN resources (original, full list by alkanive)

Transgender:
    Trans related terminology:
    Understanding your gender identity:
    Pronouns:
    Intersex:
    Nonbinary resources:
    Two Spirit:
    Transfeminine resources:
    Transmasculine resources:
    Coming out:
    Trans mental health:
    Trans advice/resource/discussion blogs and sites:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. FreckleFart99

FreckleFart99

Feb 12, 2015
    QIA? Damn we're coming up on the whole alphabet.

4. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    Alphabet soup, but nothing quite like the version you'll be getting in med school, I assure you. ;)

5. ElanaSilogram

ElanaSilogram 2+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2013
    California
    MDApps:
    This is awesome. Thanks Guero!

Guero likes this.
  6. bumblebee611

bumblebee611 2+ Year Member

Aug 14, 2014
    What a great idea to pull all of these resources together! Extra likes here!

7. ditritium monoxide

ditritium monoxide

Nov 20, 2015
    This is certainly a troll, but a decent one I must say.

8. Cotterpin

Cotterpin Gluconeogenesis Evangelion

Jun 18, 2015
    Are QIA for queer, intersex and asexual? I am not up to date on these things.

Demosthenes1 and Guero like this.
  9. allantois

allantois 2+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Q can also stand for questioning and A for ally

Cyberdyne 101 and Guero like this.
  10. Munty

Munty

Aug 30, 2015
    Ah! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

A second "A" used to be included in the acronym for "ally" but we don't typically include it now since they are simply supporters and advocates of LGBTQQIA individuals and do not struggle under the same societal and legal pressures.

11. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    The folks below did a great job of hitting the nail on the head. Although, there's been quite the controversy regarding including intersex among those within that community. Being born intersex myself, I prefer to include it in my usage of the acronym.
    You're very welcome! If you find anything else you'd like added, please let me know.
    The comedic irony in your response is nearly literary in quality.

CerseiLannister and Munty like this.
  12. genericpremedstudent

genericpremedstudent

Jun 1, 2015
    This is awesome, thank you for posting. Everyone can benefit from reading these resources. Trans people are one of the largest medically marginalized groups and familiarizing yourself with this issue is the first step in changing that.

13. Doug Underhill

Doug Underhill 2+ Year Member

Sep 2, 2011
    The South
    Is someone going to add something about sexual orientation? You didn't link to any resources about any of the other letters in the initialism other than trans. The thread needs to answer basic questions about homosexuality (and people do have them).

Also I didn't click through all those links but shouldn't there be something from a mainstream organization like WPATH and fewer Tumblrs?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Krupke and Guero like this.
  14. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    Actually, I did include some, but not nearly enough (e.g., some of the SDN threads specifically address some of the other identities, like being gay and lesbian). That's why I specifically asked for others to add to this list. :) I very much want to include those equally important issues, but am limited by the time commitments of medical school, research, activism, et cetera. Please feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll add anything you or anyone else finds. Thanks for the input and underscoring that this list is not yet nearly complete!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    mcatjelly likes this.
  15. Demosthenes1

Demosthenes1 2+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    The "A"doesn't stand for ally.

16. bumblebee611

bumblebee611 2+ Year Member

Aug 14, 2014
    I was wondering whether it stood for asexual or agender.

17. RuggerMD

RuggerMD 2+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Yes.... Allies are more important than the GLBTA(as in asexual/agender)+ minorities these allies are trying to support.... *cue deafening silence as you re-think your post*

The acronym has different meaning for different people and that's fine as you appreciate everyone who identifies with it and the point of it.

18. allantois

allantois 2+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2013
    The club at my school is named LGBTQIAA, I know very well what one of those As stands for ;)

This is the stupidest argument I got in on SDN

19. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    Arguments and flame wars will always plague anonymous forums. And interpretations will always vary. The most important thing is to gather and scrutinize the information you need on your own and move forward. In that way, SDN can serve as an invaluable resource.

I think one of my physician mentors said it best when she gave me parting advice on my way to med school: "Never argue with another medical student; you're both correct." :pompous: Wheylp, back to playing catch-up and gorging GI lectures... :yawn:

allantois likes this.
  20. Demosthenes1

Demosthenes1 2+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Its asexual. People who say the "A" is for "allies" are desperate to ingratiate themselves into the movement.
    I remember this guy has a rant about how difficult it was to come out as an "ally," and it wasn't a joke.

21. hiphopcrates

hiphopcrates 5+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for this.

Guero likes this.
  22. Munty

Munty

Aug 30, 2015
    I'm so glad this got stickied! Once I'm done with finals I'll see if I can gather some more resources to add to the list.

23. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    Thank you! I'll be working on an intense scholarship app and studying for Step over the break; so any additions you can find would be a giant help!

Munty likes this.
  24. kadenza

kadenza

Dec 29, 2015
    Great thread with many wonderful resources! Thank you!

Guero likes this.
  25. arc5005

arc5005 5+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Wow. this is great.

Guero likes this.
  26. boldandbratsche

boldandbratsche

Jan 15, 2016
    While all the letters are great for specific recognition, I think it may be time to transitions over to a more generic label with fewer letters. It kind of feels like you're picking letters for the final round of Wheel of Fortune at this point lol. I vote for GSM, which stands for gender and sexual minorities.

Regardless of that issue, this is a great resource compilation. Thank you!

27. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    Yeah, I feel like it's getting a little verbose each time I reference the current acronym. I think that's a great idea, particularly the one you chose as an example. I hope to see it catch on.

And you're very welcome! Please let me know if you have anything to add. :) I'm still looking for additions.

28. andywarcats

andywarcats

Sep 6, 2015
    glad to hear that there are transgender people in med school out there! I am a trans man and applying md/phd and have had a very time finding any resources specifically for transgender people so thank you!

Guero likes this.
  29. SpottyGlassware

SpottyGlassware

Sep 18, 2015
    There's also GSRM, which stands for Gender, Sexual, and Romantic Minorities. Just because romantic orientation is separate from sexual orientation, even though most people's are tied together. But I guess GSM is shorter!

charlotter, Pyruvate and Guero like this.
  30. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    Just an update, I've been using GSM a lot lately. I hope my use helps contribute to its legitimation... I really like it.

SpottyGlassware and Pyruvate like this.
  31. Ellie Arroway

Ellie Arroway 5+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Smithville, TN
    Sweet Jesus that's a lot of links.

32. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    And out of all the links, not one censored kink. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Munty likes this.
  33. thehermit

thehermit

Aug 23, 2016
    i know this has been up for a while, but i felt compelled to say thank you - SDN was the last place i expected to find resources in my recent quest to figure out gender stuff. i have been furiously reading all over the internet, but some of your links were just what i needed. i really appreciate it, and it feels good to know that there are others in the medical world with similar situations!

hubbsbubbs, Amygdarya and Guero like this.
  34. Guero

Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    You're so welcome! I'm very pleased to read that it helped. Lord knows I struggled for years myself. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know via PM or here. Stay strong. <3

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

hubbsbubbs and Amygdarya like this.
  35. Dr. Gabber

Dr. Gabber

Jul 31, 2016
    Guys, gals, and others!
    let's include those, who prefer Animals and Static Objects so the acronym keeps growing.
    LGBTQIAA+GSRM+ASO = epic and fancy LGBTQIAAGSRMASO