Liability when handing off service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lejeunesage

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about liability.
I'm an independent contractor admitting patients to a hospital.
Imagine I'm going on vacation or relocating to a new facility.
If there is an act of negligence while another physiatrist working at my hospital is taking over my service, am I liable because they were admitted under my care?
Is that the case even if I have ended my contractual responsibility with my hospital?

I'm trying to decide whether to wind down my service and stop admitting a couple of weeks before I leave or whether I am okay to hand them off to the hospital and move on to my next job.
 
I imagine if your name shows up on the chart anywhere that you’d be named in a lawsuit brought on the patient’s behalf. Usually lawyers name everyone who cared for the patient, even consultants, residents, interns, etc.

A lot of those parties could be dismissed depending on what happened. But not everything is totally clear cut regarding fault, so you could end up with a partial judgement against you even if someone else was more responsible (may you are determined to be 10% responsible, or whatever).

That’s my understanding at least.
 
I have a question about liability.
I'm an independent contractor admitting patients to a hospital.
Imagine I'm going on vacation or relocating to a new facility.
If there is an act of negligence while another physiatrist working at my hospital is taking over my service, am I liable because they were admitted under my care?
Is that the case even if I have ended my contractual responsibility with my hospital?

I'm trying to decide whether to wind down my service and stop admitting a couple of weeks before I leave or whether I am okay to hand them off to the hospital and move on to my next job.

I would stop admitting a few weeks before you move on to a next position so you can discharge your patients and have peace of midn that you managed them as you wanted. It's anyone's guess otherwise - what if something happened the day you left and the other physiatrist screwed up or something and the patient has a bad outcome - not your fault necessarily but they could come up with any sort of excuses oh I just took over, whatever, etc. and a lawyer might douchely name you also even if partial judgement - so better to discharge yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would stop admitting a few weeks before you move on to a next position so you can discharge your patients and have peace of midn that you managed them as you wanted. It's anyone's guess otherwise - what if something happened the day you left and the other physiatrist screwed up or something and the patient has a bad outcome - not your fault necessarily but they could come up with any sort of excuses oh I just took over, whatever, etc. and a lawyer might douchely name you also even if partial judgement - so better to discharge yourself.

Okay, this makes sense, especially since my trust in the other guy is not very high...