Liberal art majors in med school?

Started by asimhaqq00
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, you guys kinda assume that people will photographically remember everything they learned in college Immunology, Physiology, Biochemistry, etc years after the fact. That's not necessarily true. If you haven't used or reviewed information for years, it's kinda hard to remember it.

Hell, I've already forgotten 90% of the science and math I learned in college, and I'm still IN college. I don't even know what an aldol condensation is anymore!
 
There are non-sci majors who DON'T take advanced classes in Biochem, Genetics, etc (no offense meant)? Oh, well, I can see how that might be a problem then. Our school made every premed take those classes if they wanted a committee letter, so I just thought everyone was supposed to.




I'm not kidding. Lib Arts depends a lot on the professors you get. Some of their classes can be complete jokes. Others are as difficult as, if not more than, 400-level science classes.

Sure, yeah, a professor can be a dick, but that's rare. On average, you can easily BS your way through a paper-based class. You might not get an A, but you have to be a real idiot to actually fail.

Also, you guys kinda assume that people will photographically remember everything they learned in college Immunology, Physiology, Biochemistry, etc years after the fact. That's not necessarily true. If you haven't used or reviewed information for years, it's kinda hard to remember it.

Hell, I've already forgotten 90% of the science and math I learned in college, and I'm still IN college. I don't even know what an aldol condensation is anymore!

No, but if you've ever studied material multiple times you realize that each pass is faster and easier because you've seen it before and some of it sticks.
 
a LOT of the students I know who were kind of "meh" during the first 2+ years of medical school were actually engineers. Many/most of my friends who have done really well have been non-science students. Too many pre-meds confuse college major choice with intelligence/aptitude....Not so much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
a LOT of the students I know who were kind of "meh" during the first 2+ years of medical school were actually engineers. Many/most of my friends who have done really well have been non-science students. Too many pre-meds confuse college major choice with intelligence/aptitude....Not so much.

Nobody is arguing that engineers would have an easier time than liberal arts majors. But life science majors - certainly.
 
Nobody is arguing that engineers would have an easier time than liberal arts majors. But life science majors - certainly.

I completely disagree. The depth/breadth doesn't translate at all. I can name many anecdotes of students with masters in biochemistry getting a "pass" in biochem or students who majored in "anatomy and physiology of some sorts" and struggled with med school anatomy. The ability to rapidly learn and master new material is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more important than you're major.