License in every state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetymd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a patient is biopsied in state X and the specimen is sent to state Y (which is where you reside and practice) for processing and interpretation, do you need a medical license in state X also? Or is your medical license in state Y enough?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If a patient is biopsied in state X and the specimen is sent to state Y (which is where you reside and practice) for processing and interpretation, do you need a medical license in state X also? Or is your medical license in state Y enough?
Thanks!

It depends on the state X's pertinent legislation. Some do require it and other are quiet on the matter; I do not think any state waives it in writing. Most states regularly exempt the consultation reads from the requirement.

I do not know the level of scrutiny by licensing state Boards. The risk would be in case you are sued. However, the liability insurances are increasingly taking interest in "telepathology" across states and requiring licenses depending on the regularity and volume of reads from the state X.

Large commercial labs are licensing their doctors in multiple ( I mean over 10-15) states.

Last edited:
Thanks! That is what I had concluded from reading various comments on the internet. I wish there was a single source that had all these reules and regulations listed. Maybe there is and I just don't know.