License

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeballfanatic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are a new grad, how do you apply for jobs in different states if you do not have your license in any of the states yet?

Members don't see this ad.

When you are a new grad, how do you apply for jobs in different states if you do not have your license in any of the states yet?

Most employers understand that you are currently applying for your license, so you simply tell them that you are license eligible. If you know what state(s) you want to work then I would suggest applying for a license in those states. You can decide later if you want to renew the license or not.

Most employers understand that you are currently applying for your license, so you simply tell them that you are license eligible. If you know what state(s) you want to work then I would suggest applying for a license in those states. You can decide later if you want to renew the license or not.

So you can apply for a license in multiple states? Because I was thinking that I had about 4-5 states that I want to work in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply for more than one. You write the jurisprudence exams required for licensing in your chosen states during the boards (NBEO part III).

You can apply for more than one. You write the jurisprudence exams required for licensing in your chosen states during the boards (NBEO part III).

Actually, you don't have to take a jurisprudence exam in most states. Some states you simply send in your application fee and they will approve you automatically. Other states will require you to sit for an additional state-given written exam (separate from part III of the National Board Exam). Still others will require a written AND oral examination.

As you can see, optometry is regulated state by state and they make their own rules. You will be better off if you attempt to get licensed in whatever states you desire as soon as graduating as much of the useless info you learned will be lost after a few years.

is there a way that students line up jobs before graduating? so they have one right after graduation, even if it is part time?

is there a way that students line up jobs before graduating? so they have one right after graduation, even if it is part time?

unlikely but possible. depending on if you know people and which state you want to practice in. realistically you will get your license in about 1 month after your graduation and will start working within 2 months. trick is to send in your applications BEFORE you graduate so it can be on its way (like background checks and alot of other stuff that varies by state). but if you plan to get a job secured months ahead of graduation that's just not going to happen it helps to have a license on hand when you apply for jobs : )

send in apps for the jobs or for the license?
also, what does license by reciprocity mean?

Last edited: