Licensed MD without full residency. Work options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK. I apologize that I assumed he did not. I still have questions about that though. I have looked and all the positions in my area are saying BC/BE. I have also clicked about 20 random ones and ctrl-f "cert" and all of them say something along the lines of "must maintain appropriate board certification". I personally am trying to find a locums job before I restart residency in July. I'll look harder I guess.
Third page of the job posting... There are a few that say: Physician (IM/FM/GP).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Third page of the job posting... There are a few that say: Physician (IM/FM/GP).
Don't quote me on this, but the requirements say that in addition to an intern year (the basic requirement):

"Applicants who meet the above Basic Requirements qualify for GS-11 (or equivalent) positions. In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Additional Requirements for Grades GS-12 and Above Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: For GS-13 -- 3 years of graduate training in the specialty of Family Practice, Internal Medicine or General Practice or equivalent experience and training. For GS-14 -- 4 years of graduate training in the specialty of Family Practice, Internal Medicine or General Practice or equivalent experience and training. For GS-15 -- 5 years of graduate training in the specialty of Family Practice, Internal Medicine or General Practice or equivalent experience and training. The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements."

Then the link for that job application says the Pay Scale and Grade is GS 13-15.

But I have no earthly idea what this actually means.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Don't quote me on this, but the requirements say that in addition to an intern year (the basic requirement):

"Applicants who meet the above Basic Requirements qualify for GS-11 (or equivalent) positions. In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Additional Requirements for Grades GS-12 and Above Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: For GS-13 -- 3 years of graduate training in the specialty of Family Practice, Internal Medicine or General Practice or equivalent experience and training. For GS-14 -- 4 years of graduate training in the specialty of Family Practice, Internal Medicine or General Practice or equivalent experience and training. For GS-15 -- 5 years of graduate training in the specialty of Family Practice, Internal Medicine or General Practice or equivalent experience and training. The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements."

Then the link for that job application says the Pay Scale and Grade is GS 13-15.

But I have no earthly idea what this actually means.
I don't know what all these mean. I have a friend who has been working for IHS with a GP license for over 6 years. I talk to him on a regular basis and he likes the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Here is the Federal Bureau of Prisons GP description. Looks like the G codes are federal salary codes. So if you had more years of training OR experience you would get paid more.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey man, it's very heartening to see how you never lost interest in clinical medicine and forged your own path. I do have 2 questions.

1. How were you able to secure a locums assignment in family and urgent care medicine without BC/BE? It seems like the industry standard.

2. Could you outline the path to practicing VA medicine? I understand the notion that it is not funded through medicare and hence does not require the BC/BE but what exactly is the process like? Why did you need the US PHS and clinical work to get you there? Why not just apply directly to the VA after you left residency?
--------------
3. Also, this is my advise. If you're not taking it, explain why?

Consider reapplying to residencies ASAP. Yes, you are older. Yes, you're going to be reapplying to the same field (FM)...but at least from my admittedly naïve vantage point, you seem really dedicated to clinical medicine and seem much more accountable now. You may get interest from several FM programs. The funding's an issue, but there are several places that choose to run over cap...even if they're not, you still get a lot of funding even if you are over your primary care residency cap. Why not at least give it one go? Your career options would exponentially increase with BC/BE. You're best off doing it NOW as each year you wait creates less openness for programs to take you. I can't fully make out from your post but it seems like you are considering some form of a residency but are looking to do that later if I'm understanding you correctly? I disagree with that outlook, I think the sooner the better. You can keep working/doing what you're doing but why not submit an ERAS this year. Get references from whoever you've worked with clinically recently and get an ERAS token from your international school however that is done and apply this Fall 2021.
1. The FM opportunity was through a firm that sets up on-site clinic at factories. Examples include Healics and QuadMed. Mostly you will do wellness assessments, and over time, patients will transfer care to, so you will function as a primary care physician. I headhunting firm cold-called me about this opportunity, so I was totally unaware that this was a possibility without BC/BE. Another similar random call was about an urgent care clinic that needed a 3-month assignment during the flu season. Both opportunities though were not geared at long-term growth. Currently at the BOP, my career horizons have expanded far more that in the jobs above. I have executive control, am developing clinic management experience and have the opportunity to do public health work in the future.

2. I am unfamiliar with VA work, but it all requires BC/BE. No way around that. My interest in the USPHS is that it might allow BC/BE requirements to be relaxed. The IHS is a good opportunity as well because several branches (I verified a few in Montana) don't require BC/BE and simply a medical license in a jurisdiction in the USA. Also, USPHS can open doors for public health research at the CDC and NIH.

3. I will apply to residency this fall now that I have good letters of reference from leadership high in the USPHS and BOP. I had to put in 2 years of work in the BOP to prove myself and get the letters, so if you are considering this path, please know that you will need 2-3 years before resuming residency.

Feel free to ask more questions. In 2014 I was cast adrift and felt totally lost and someone on SDN told me about the BOP in the depths of my professional despair. Somehow, I survived and can offer measured and reasonable advice about how to proceed as non-BC/BE physician. Jump at any opportunity to practice medicine. As long as you manage care, you will stay relevant and continue your craft. The great aspect of federal clinical work is that it seen as challenging, substantive and on-par with community medicine standards. The options in (1) are only short-term gigs to rack up experience and references. Remember that in the BOP, you need at least 36 months or residency training and post-residency clinical experience to be eligible for a Medical Officer position. If you have anything less, you will have to find random clinical assignments like (1), get to 36 months and then enter the BOP or IHS. Let me know if you have further questions.

Reactions: 1 users