Licensing Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksamc25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about impact of something on medical license.

I have no criminal history - no arrests, tickets, etc. and answered an honest no to the questions.

I was notified by the medical board that something flagged on my background check.

I subsequently discovered that I had 3 misdemeanor charges under my name - 100 in a 60, driving with a suspended/canceled/expired license (I have never had) and tampering with a DUI ignition device (which I have never had nor have I had a DUI). The chargers were dismissed due to “officer issuing citation to incorrect individual”. I was never aware my name was involved in this prior to the background report.

I spoke with the medical board that I did not know about this and am working to get my background check corrected. I sent all this information to the medical board including the court record. I spoke with a lawyer who said that this should be acceptable to the medical board.

Rationally I know that I haven’t done anything wrong but I am paranoid my license will be denied. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that the board will see this as an error out of your control, and shouldn't be an issue.

But I am stuck by the fact that someone mistakenly put this on your record, never contacted you about it, and didn't clear it up themselves. It also raises the question of whether this was just some sort of typo, or if someone else has stolen your identity. Also wonder whether you can now get said police dept to reimburse you for your legal costs to sort this out.

Reactions: 8 users
I agree that the board will see this as an error out of your control, and shouldn't be an issue.

But I am stuck by the fact that someone mistakenly put this on your record, never contacted you about it, and didn't clear it up themselves. It also raises the question of whether this was just some sort of typo, or if someone else has stolen your identity. Also wonder whether you can now get said police dept to reimburse you for your legal costs to sort this out.
Yes, I am really concerned that my name was listed in a legal proceeding and I was never notified. It is unclear based on the records of this was identity theft or an error and I am trying to request additional information regarding the case but of course you have to request in writing and it will be a lengthy process. I also have to go through another set of fingerprints and request my criminal history. It’s just a major hassle, waste of time, and a significant source of stress for something that had nothing to do with me.

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users

The other question I have is how often this happens and people end up with warrants (and potentially that result in stops and harm). I'd honestly be surprised if OP could get reimbursed from police regarding this.

Reactions: 1 user