Licensing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang sally

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you do score transfer to another state, are you considered a licensed pharmacist in that state as soon as you meet all of their requirements? Or do you have to be licensed in your primary state first for transfer info to be valid?

The way I understand it now is that you have to keep up your primary state license for as long as you plan to practice, but you can drop other state licenses if you are not using them. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When you do score transfer to another state, are you considered a licensed pharmacist in that state as soon as you meet all of their requirements? Or do you have to be licensed in your primary state first for transfer info to be valid?

The way I understand it now is that you have to keep up your primary state license for as long as you plan to practice, but you can drop other state licenses if you are not using them. Is that correct?

Thanks.

When you do score transfer and get your license in State A, State B, etc, you are obtaining primary licenses in all of those states. It doesn't matter if you get B before A, they are both primary and you will have to keep at least ONE of them throughout your career. You can reciprocate any of your primary licenses, provided they have been kept up with. Hope this makes sense.

Ok, thanks. I remember a pharmacist at one of my last rotations saying to choose your original state of licensure carefully because you have to keep that state license for as long as you practice (and some states are more expensive than others). Maybe I misunderstood what she meant though.

Hello. I am a foreign pharmacy graduate and I recently moved to Texas. I want to get registered as a pharmacist here but I'm a bit confused on how to go about it. Do I first send my documents to ECE or to FPGCE. I know they first have to evaluate my degree before I'm accepted to sit for the FPGEE..Could someone who has gone through this please advice me..thank you