licensing questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhasbeen

shrinkie dink
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
since most other specialties don't have too many residents obtaining licenses while still in training, i wanted to post my questions here. so i happen to have a license that will expire at the beginning of my pgy-4 year. paying for a medical license is expensive. if i renew the license in my current state at the beginning of pgy-4, in the event i move out of state for fellowship or employment, would the renewed license be transferable to other states, or is this variable from state to state? i'd just really hate to waste x-hundred dollars on a license that i'd only use for 1 year before paying another x-hundred dollars in another state if that's what it'll come to.

oh yeah, for those who don't know why psych residents might consider licenses while still in training: some states allow you to send patients to emergency rooms for evaluation if you're licensed. i guess different training programs might also require the licenses for moonlighting.

Members don't see this ad.

since most other specialties don't have too many residents obtaining licenses while still in training, i wanted to post my questions here. so i happen to have a license that will expire at the beginning of my pgy-4 year. paying for a medical license is expensive. if i renew the license in my current state at the beginning of pgy-4, in the event i move out of state for fellowship or employment, would the renewed license be transferable to other states, or is this variable from state to state? i'd just really hate to waste x-hundred dollars on a license that i'd only use for 1 year before paying another x-hundred dollars in another state if that's what it'll come to.

oh yeah, for those who don't know why psych residents might consider licenses while still in training: some states allow you to send patients to emergency rooms for evaluation if you're licensed. i guess different training programs might also require the licenses for moonlighting.

Gosh, how long have you had the license for it to expire? Are you saying you have a training license and not a full license? It just doesn't make sense unless you did your internship many years ago, applied for a license, and stepped out of residency and came back. Licenses are not transfarable and every state has its own rules of the game. Some states are cheap and quick (PA) and some states are long and expensive (NJ).

Last edited:
Yeah, licenses are non-transferrable and your new state is not going to care that you've paid for 2 years you're not using.

On the plus side, when you're applying for your own malpractice coverage, they will want a long and drawn out explanation for any lapses in your licensure, so it's easiest to have overlapping licenses.

Another reason to get your license during psych training is that in New York you can't "2PC" a person into an involuntary commitment without an unrestricted license.

Gosh, how long have you had the license for it to expire? Are you saying you have a training license and not a full license? It just doesn't make sense unless you did your internship many years ago, applied for a license, and stepped out of residency and came back. Licenses are not transfarable and every state has its own rules of the game. Some states are cheep and quick (PA) and some states are long and expensive (NJ).

i'm in maryland. licenses are doled out every 2 yrs alphabetically on oct 1st. applied for mine after taking step 3 at the end of internship. still don't have a dea number, nor do i want one since that only allows for moonlighting and nothing more at my program.

and thanks for the responses thus far. guess i'll be using the cost of the renewal in my tax write-offs. :rolleyes: