Licensure in multiple states

Started by jchen707
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jchen707

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what the process is for getting a license in another state. I live in a state different from where I am currently practicing and was thinking about getting a license in both to be able to do some PRN stuff on the weekends.

Do CEUs that I take count for both of my licenses?
 
When you take a con-ed course, the information provided for the course should tell you what states have approved the course so that you can receive CEU credits. For example, I have PT licenses in WA and CA. Some classes I've taken only have approval for CEUs in CA, and some have approval for both states.
 
Thanks! So do I just simply apply for a license in the second state? That's prob a stupid question but applying for a second license doesn't discredit or invalidate the one I already hold right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can collect licenses like baseball cards, but every 4-5 years you have to renew. Keep in mind it's much cheaper to renew than to apply for a new license.
 
Thanks! So do I just simply apply for a license in the second state? That's prob a stupid question but applying for a second license doesn't discredit or invalidate the one I already hold right?

Correct, you can apply for a license in the second state. It will not discredit your current license in the state you're practicing in.