Licensure Through Residency Pathway or WREB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiaV

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a practicing Dentist in Pennsylvania and planning on moving back to California. I passed the WREB in 2017, which did not include the prosthodontics section. I also completed a one year GPR in July of 2018. Does anyone know if according to the new guidelines that I would need to take the new WREB examination which includes the prosthodontics section or can I apply through the residency pathway? Also, I was confused on the bolded bullet point below. If i finished residency in July of 2018 and I am applying now in July of 2020, would this pathway of licensure still be an option for me?

Thank you.

Licensure Eligibility
Prior to applying to the Dental Board (Board) of California for a dental license, all applicants must:

• Be at least 18 years of age
  • Submit a completed application to the Dental Board of California
  • Pay a non-refundable application fee of $800.00
  • Provide satisfactory evidence of having graduated from a dental school approved by the Board or Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (CODA).
  • Provide satisfactory evidence of having passed the National Board Written Examinations. Original score card is required; photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Satisfactory evidence of having completed a clinically based advanced education program in general dentistry or an advanced education program in general practice residency that is, at minimum, one year in duration and is accredited by either CODA or a national accrediting body approved by the Board.
    • A certification of clinical residency program completion approved by the Board, to be completed upon the resident’s successful completion of the program in order to evaluate the resident’s competence to practice dentistry in the state.
    • The certification shall be within two years prior to the date of the resident’s application for a license under this section.
    • Completion of the program shall be within two years prior to the date of their application for a license under this section.
  • Provide a letter from WREB stating that the applicant has not failed the WREB clinical examination within the last (5) years.
  • Provide satisfactory evidence of not failing the ADEX examination after November 15, 2019.
    • A Cumulative Score Report that shows no failures is acceptable proof.
    • A letter signed by the applicant that certifies the applicant has never taken the ADEX examination is acceptable proof.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like it just expired :( You only have 2 years after completing your GPR to apply for a CA license through residency. Another option is applying for licensing by credential (having a license in another state but they count up to 2 years of residency too) but you have to wait 5 years which means if you graduated dental school 2017, you wouldn't be able to get a license until 2022.. Also I know for ADEX you can just sign up to take the one section (Prosth) instead of re-taking the entire exam so I'm sure WREB would allow the same?

Hi thanks for the response!
I did start my paperwork in June 2020 but because of Covid a lot of places were closed like my dental school and GPR program which pushed things to July (end of the 2 year deadline). I am hoping they will grant an extension because of the pandemic!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thanks for the response!
I did start my paperwork in June 2020 but because of Covid a lot of places were closed like my dental school and GPR program which pushed things to July (end of the 2 year deadline). I am hoping they will grant an extension because of the pandemic!

Hi! I am also working on my CA licensure right now. I just want to make sure that They WILL NOT grant any extrension. 'The date of application' meaning a date when your application gets processed and assigned to licensing analyst, not a date your application is received. I was in your similiar situation and I submitted my application on May 28th via FEDEX Overnight. But They started processing my application on July 08, which is a date of application. No matter how circumstance you have, CA Dental Board will not do anyting would benefit you. CA licensure process is usually the longest and hardest (prolly due to over #s of dentist in CA).

Anyway, I also need to take the prosthdontic section only. However, only remainning WREB exam is November @ UNLV.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi! I am also working on my CA licensure right now. I just want to make sure that They WILL NOT grant any extrension. 'The date of application' meaning a date when your application gets processed and assigned to licensing analyst, not a date your application is received. I was in your similiar situation and I submitted my application on May 28th via FEDEX Overnight. But They started processing my application on July 08, which is a date of application. No matter how circumstance you have, CA Dental Board will not do anyting would benefit you. CA licensure process is usually the longest and hardest (prolly due to over #s of dentist in CA).

Anyway, I also need to take the prosthdontic section only. However, only remainning WREB exam is November @ UNLV.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi! Thanks for the response. I am sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation. I was not able to get an extension either. I am also planning on taking the prosth section at UNLV in November.

You should not have an issue as they accepted the WREB before 2017. You can try and get them to confirm this (I would). I would be surprised if you had to take the prosth section of the WREB...

You should not have an issue as they accepted the WREB before 2017. You can try and get them to confirm this (I would). I would be surprised if you had to take the prosth section of the WREB...

Hello,

This is what I found directly from the dental board website

Candidates who take the WREB examination on or after January 1, 2020 will be required to take and pass all competencies listed in Business and Professions Code Section 1630, regardless of whether the candidate submitted an application for licensure eligibility to the Board on or before December 31, 2019.

Applications for candidates who take the WREB examination on or before December 31, 2019 and who have not completed all sections required by Business and Professions Code Section 1630 effective January 1, 2020, must meet all requirements to have the application deemed approved on or before December 31, 2019. Applications received on or before December 31, 2019 deemed deficient and those deficiencies are not cleared and the application approved by 5 p.m. on December 31, 2019, will be required to meet all licensure requirements in effect beginning January 1, 2020.

Unfortunately they have changed the requirements. Looks like now they require the prosth section regardless when you took the WREB (must be within 5 years).

Hello,

This is what I found directly from the dental board website

Candidates who take the WREB examination on or after January 1, 2020 will be required to take and pass all competencies listed in Business and Professions Code Section 1630, regardless of whether the candidate submitted an application for licensure eligibility to the Board on or before December 31, 2019.

Applications for candidates who take the WREB examination on or before December 31, 2019 and who have not completed all sections required by Business and Professions Code Section 1630 effective January 1, 2020, must meet all requirements to have the application deemed approved on or before December 31, 2019. Applications received on or before December 31, 2019 deemed deficient and those deficiencies are not cleared and the application approved by 5 p.m. on December 31, 2019, will be required to meet all licensure requirements in effect beginning January 1, 2020.

Unfortunately they have changed the requirements. Looks like now they require the prosth section regardless when you took the WREB (must be within 5 years).

Well that's unfortunate...