Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I went on an interview for residency at UF, and the PD made a point to tell me to do an osteo internship first. Long story short, he said that FL is notorious for not granting licensure to those w/o osteo internships, but I know of several people who have gotten their medical licenses in FL rather easily under these circumstances. Does anyone know for sure what is required in this state for a DO who has done an ACGME internship/residency to obtain a permanent medical license?

Members don't see this ad.

You know, whether or not you can get the licensure to change.....I think you will find the traditional rotating internship a valuable training vehicle. I would not have done it any other way. I feel like I am far, far ahead of many other interns doing transitional year.

Idiopathic said:
So, I went on an interview for residency at UF, and the PD made a point to tell me to do an osteo internship first. Long story short, he said that FL is notorious for not granting licensure to those w/o osteo internships, but I know of several people who have gotten their medical licenses in FL rather easily under these circumstances. Does anyone know for sure what is required in this state for a DO who has done an ACGME internship/residency to obtain a permanent medical license?

As you know, FL is one of the 5 states that requires a DO internship, but I believe the procedure for getting an ACGME internship year approved by the AOA is the same as in any other state. I don't see how this would make a difference. Quinn on this board, who is a DO EM resident at USF, had his first year approved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a third year, so I haven't gone thru this myself. However, our school recently sent out an email about this issue concerning grads of our school in Michigan. Supposedly, the people that are doing allo residencies are having a lot of trouble this year getting full licenses after their intern year (so they can't moonlight, etc.) As we already know, Dr. Mom has also warned that the AOA is going to definately tighten up on the waivers. This seems to be happeneing already.

So, once again the powers that be in the AOA are screwing over students. Some things never change.

What are those 5 states again?

San_Juan_Sun said:
As we already know, Dr. Mom has also warned that the AOA is going to definately tighten up on the waivers. This seems to be happeneing already.

From what we were told here at UNE by the person who I believe runs the "devision of residents and students"... she said that it depends a lot on the availability of AOA residencies in the area that you're doing residency. For example, here in Maine we don't have any EM residencies available to us (closest I believe is Philly area). She said it'd be "easier" for you to get a waiver than someone doing an allopathic residency where there are osteopathic residencies close by. whether that's right or not is a whole other discussion...

jonb12997 said:
She said it'd be "easier" for you to get a waiver than someone doing an allopathic residency where there are osteopathic residencies close by. whether that's right or not is a whole other discussion...

Unfortunately, there are several programs in the Big 5 states that I would apply to (although I prefer to stay in the SW) as a backup. I would certainly prefer not to go to PA for example (no offense to PA, it's just not home), but assuming I don't match at my first couple of choices, I might match into a program that I didn't really want to go to.

So basically, if I don't match at my top 3-4, I run the gauntlet and who knows where I'll end up. And if I end up in the Big 5, I could get screwed, even though I didn't really want to be in that state in the first place.

Great work AOA. Not only do they accredit crappy programs and let the # of new schools open without commensurate residency applications, but now there's going to be some coercement into those same crappy programs. Of course, if they only made AOA programs adhere more strictly to solid resident education, then they wouldn't have to worry about forcing people into these crappy programs.

And really, aren't they shooting themselves in the foot? I know that I'd never support the AOA if it never advanced my interests as a resident.