Life after OB/GYN residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BusterBrown

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is life like after residency...especially in private practice? Several people have told me you can "make it what you want" essentially. But in all reality, I have no clue what to expect. I would appreciate insight on these issues.

1. Can you truly balance OB along with GYN surgery?
2. How predictable is the work/schedule?
3. What are the hours like?
4. What is the call schedule really like?
5. Is the threat of litigation stressful....is malpractice insurance so ridiculous that it takes the joy out of practicing medicine in this field?
6. How do you even go about finding a group to practice with?
7. Overall lifestyle...are people satisfied when they get out there in the real world?

(I really like the "hands on" aspect of OB/GYN. I also enjoy combining the primary care aspect of medicine (especially continuity of care) along with surgery. The variety makes the field attractive. My concern is that I would start to resent my work if my life outside of work started taking the back seat all the time....excessive hours/call, malpractice worries, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same questions as you do about OB/GYN...I just wish some one would look at this thread ;)

I have the same questions as you do about OB/GYN...I just wish some one would look at this thread ;)

the ob/gyn moderator diane l. evans said she will work on a sticky thread that should help.