Life after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlliniEMT1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I was filling out my practice vision on the AMCAS, I realized that I know little about the "career track" after that outside of primary care. What is a future in academic medicine like, or specialty medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

hey IlliniEMT1,
I go to the Univ. of Illinois also. If you don't mind, could you help me with info on how to become an EMT down here in Champaign. Also, let me know if there is a way we could get in touch. We might already know each other. Later.
-seth

Well I am the EMT class coordinator with Illini EMS here on campus(http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/IEMS). We hold a class every semester- we have one coming up this fall. If youre interested, email me at smpatel2@uiuc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am starting my second year of medical school at U of IL- I can't guarentee I know all the answers to your questions, but you can email me if you have any. Good luck with your apps!

Sorry- forgot to add this- a lot- no all- of your future depends on which specialty you choose. Both my parents are ob/gyns (considered primary care) and they love their jobs, but their personal lives are less than desirable. I've read books and books about the glut of doctors in America and the rest of the world, so you have to find a balance between what you want to do and the lifestyle you want to live. If you want to have a life outside the hospital, then IM or surgery or ob/gyn are not high yield choices, in general- although I am sure there may be exceptions. Fields like ENT and opthamology are extremely competitive for good reason- they offer a lifestyle that many people really want.

:) hello..i'm going to be a senior in high school next year...and after years of comtemplating and weighing options...i am 100% sure that i want to be a surgeon....i am leaning towards cardiovascular surgery...but I find neuro surgery to be very fascinating as well....I hope to have a child specialization in any field that i choose...I am thinking of majoring in either genetics or biomedical engineering....but it seems that the major requires me to take courses which will not allow me to finish all my Pre-Med pre-req classes before my junior year MCAT....what should I do? community college..summer school... what? I really don't know...i want to go straight to med school from undergrad...so i want to be able to apply after my junior year...but if i can't complete my pre-med reqs then my MCAT will suffer.....also, can you please give me some information on what to do to better my chances of being admitted to a top medical school? All your reply post would be greatly appreciated...thank you :)

"In the midst of adversity....lies opportunity." -Albert Einstein

"If you're gonna fall...fall on your back...cuz if you can look up...you can get up." - Les Brown

Pre-Med Psycho -- you've got to relax a little! This stuff is way too far in the future for you to worry about now. Concentrate on getting into college, choose a school that you think fits you the best and offers the types of things that interest you the most. Then work on getting settled into a college environment your freshman year. If you really want to go to med school, getting the pre-med prereq's done in time will be no problem no matter what you major in. Wait until you start college to figure out if you might need to take summer school in college.

Another thing -- don't get too set on any particular specialty now. Everyone's interests change and career goals change through undergrad as well as med school. As an example -- when I started med school, I was 100% sure I was going to go into surgery. Now, 4 years later, I'm going into a non-surgical field.

I agree, I wouldnt worry about it too much- with some good planning, getting your req's done in time will be easier than you think- I am a biology/psychology double major and I managed to get everything done in time. In fact most of my friends (in various majors) and I are premed and have all managed to get the classes in, work, volunteer, and study for the MCAT. I have taken classes during the summer term to lighten the load, but I didnt really need to, and most dont. It may take some good planning, but let that wait until when you start registering for classes. You may find that some classes fufill several requrements and you can try to get some AP or proficiency credit. But bascially save the worry about that after you graduate.

Pre-Med psycho...
please please relax. First off, be excited about going to college. Aside from the academic world, you are entering an intense phase of "growing up", meeting people, traveling (studying abroad was THE BEST thing I ever did) and just exploring all there is in this world.
Be open and receptive to different things; I ended up loving a lot of my general education classes more than my bio classes. And to be honest, in retrospect I wish I had majored in art & design or art history instead of biology. I still want to be a doctor, but i wish i had studied something other than bio.
Don't be in such a rush to go to medical school; I only decided to apply for medical school after I returned from England at the end of my junior year. It was a pain in the butt getting my med school apps/MCAT/recs in on time, but in the end I got into a school that I'm so excited about attending this fall. It all worked out really well.
Be aware to the basic things you need to do to get in to med school (required classes, recs, MCAT, research and clinical experience) but PLEASE don't neglect the wonderful, diverse experiences college has to offer. It may change the area of medicine you are interested in, and/or it may change your entire career path.

Pre-med Psycho,

Why don't you worry about passing your first Chem. test before contemplating your area of surgical expertise. You've got probably 15 major hurtles to pass before your even accepted to medical school, and sucka's just as dedicated as you are weeded out at every one. :eek:

Hey you two! I am starting in the MD/PhD program at UIUC in TWO WEEKS!!!! Are you interested in the COM at UIUC or UIC? Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. I might have a few for you - like how to figure out all these @#$* one-way streets on campus!!! Good luck with your apps.

Congrats sbrandon,
I have a good friend that is doing a biochem PhD with his MD here, but its MD only for me.
I applied to U of IL but im hazy on how they select what campus you end up at- I really dont want to do a year at UIUC and then move to peoria/rockford.
good luck finding your way around- I bash chambana alot, but it can be a nice place to live, ive spent the last couple summers here so i practically feel like a townie.
oh and if youre looking for an apartment, im looking for a roommate :D