life at case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

japolloniac09

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i have a friend who's interested in applying to case for 09. i can't tell her much about it bc i didn't apply, so can anyone who's visited teh d-school respond with their impression of the curriculum, student body and faculty, and overall quality of living there? plus, what kind of stats do u need to get in?

thx.

Members don't see this ad.

japolloniac09 said:
hey all,
i have a friend who's interested in applying to case for 09. i can't tell her much about it bc i didn't apply, so can anyone who's visited teh d-school respond with their impression of the curriculum, student body and faculty, and overall quality of living there? plus, what kind of stats do u need to get in?

thx.

Just got back from Cleveland couple days ago. I had a chance to talk to couple senior students. They all loved the school, curriculum and clinical exposures.

The curriculum:
pretty easy to pass (Biochem was so easy for them and its test came from review notes). They spent a little more time to study in the first and second years. Partied all weekend long during the 3rd and 4th. Case has a large patient pool. Many students tried not to work too fast on their patients so school woulnd't give them more. Students have chance to work with residents on several complicated implant cases. None of my friends wanted to because it took too much time and it was just an optional requirement to graduate.

student body:
according to them 40% from Utal, 40% from Cali . The rest from canada and other states.

Faculty: They are all nice and helpful (as long as you don't cheat)

Overall quality of living: good and cheap. I found a studio at Triangle apartment for only 649/month with covered parking (30 seconds walk from the school). A larger and remodeled studio at Warfdrop Tower (5 min walk from school) is $759/month + $40 for covered parking. There were many cheaper apartments (look dirtier) around the school but I picked the cleaniest one.

My stat: GPA 3.3 DAT 20. and got in on Dec 1 as an international student

HuyetKiem said:
Just got back from Cleveland couple days ago. I had a chance to talk to couple senior students. They all loved the school, curriculum and clinical exposures.

The class is small, and a lot of interactions between class mates and professors. Any idea what the school's average board scores are?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mo007 said:
The class is small, and a lot of interactions between class mates and professors. Any idea what the school's average board scores are?

I didnt' ask but most of them passed on the first try. My friend's group of 7 people (all party goers), their scores were from 87 -92 on part 1 and all of them passed part 2. 4 people in '04 class failed part 2.

I interviewed at Case, but am not going there. I did grow up in Cleveland however! Case has an amazing Dent Sim Lab---can't say much about the students because they were out on break while I interviewed--only met one, and he seemed alright. They have a nice clinic---each student is assigned a chair when they get there and they keep that space until they graduate---they are the only ones who work there for 4 years.

As for Cleveland---I love it from May to October but the rest of the year it is a pit of misery, but then again that is why we have the Browns---they contribute to the misery in the winter---nothing like enduring freezing temperatures to watch your beloved team get spanked!

If your friend plans to practice in the Cleveland area---Case has an excellent reputation throughout the city. Hope this helps best of luck to you and your friend!

when i went to visit case, there were a lot of young, married students from Utah. I wasn't sure if a lot of mormon people went to case (didn't know the school had a religious affiliation?) or if it was just the demographics of the class I happened to ask about. Was it a fluke? or did I miss something?
Geographic and ethnic diversity in the student body is something that I appreciate. That was one of the few things I didn't like about case.
Faculty seemed really helpful, students really liked it there. I didn't get the impression that the program was cut-throat competitive, more like students helping each other out.
BUT this is all my impression from my interview.....so my .02 isn't from years of experience at the school. Just thought I'd chip in

Have you guys heard how the first 2 years are at case? Is there some free time to hit up downtown?

They will have 2-2 weeks off from classes (one in each term) to participate in the sealant program, so basically, during these periods, you will have a lot of free time every night to do anything you want. :D

jmac81 said:
Have you guys heard how the first 2 years are at case? Is there some free time to hit up downtown?

My friends said it ain't bad at all. they had plenty of free time.

LITTLED said:
when i went to visit case, there were a lot of young, married students from Utah. I wasn't sure if a lot of mormon people went to case (didn't know the school had a religious affiliation?) or if it was just the demographics of the class I happened to ask about. Was it a fluke? or did I miss something?
Geographic and ethnic diversity in the student body is something that I appreciate. That was one of the few things I didn't like about case.
Faculty seemed really helpful, students really liked it there. I didn't get the impression that the program was cut-throat competitive, more like students helping each other out.
BUT this is all my impression from my interview.....so my .02 isn't from years of experience at the school. Just thought I'd chip in

No, it wasnt a fluke, generally around 50% of the class is made up of mormons, however I dont believe they have an actual religious affiliation, just tend to recruit and accept a lot of people from Utah.

Also, first couple years are obviously the hardest, but my friends that went usually went out and partied at least once a week, and in their third and fourth year partied much more than that.